Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.

Nancy it was the site that Billy gave us. Sewing Machine historical Trade Literature in Smithsonian Collections. Kathie
Kathie, if I remember right when you get this site up, you will have to click on the page you want to look at to bring it to full size -- then print it? I will check it out later. Right now I have to work on my DFIL's taxes. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Nancy
Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I know a 301 and FW are not the same machine, but when my 301 arrived in January, her tension was good, then it became erratic. I threatened her with banishment to the corner with the Kenmore with the same problem. I oiled the machine excessively and kept sewing. The tension is now perfect and stays well balanced. She just finished her first quilt. Maybe the old girls just need to be used.
I have seen the same thing happen with the FW. Clean and oil like crazy and they will free up and move very nicely. I don't like a machine that races, but if you want a machine that can race and is powerful, Glenn is right it wouldn't be a FW. Those little girls sew beautifully, but the power is in the treadles - those old girls are way more powerful than any FW or for that matter any modern day machine! Although, not all treadles will race! My Free has one speed no matter how fast I treadle - that is slow, which is fine with me - much more accurate that way!

Nancy
Old 02-15-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Hi friends,

Could someone refresh me on the answer please. . . .Concerning doing a motorectomy on some of the machines in order to treadle them. . . Am I right in remembering that a class 15 potted motor with a solid handwheel cannot be treadled? or was there a special part that could be added somewhere at the handwheel area that would allow it to be treadled? Maybe it was only changing to a spoked wheel? . . . it just seems to me that particular one can't be treadled. . . I just can't remember for sure what the answer is.
Hummmmm, I have not tried to put a potted 15 on a treadle. I have a 15-88, which comes as a treadle, but I think someone here has? Miz Johnny, Monica, Billy? I don't see how you are going to get rid of the potted motor?

Nancy
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 AM

Guess I will join the fun. :D

Last night I got a new baby, her name is Elvirna. Her serial number is G1579905. From a couple of the links, I am thinking that she is from Elizabeth, NJ around 1911.

She is in super rough shape, but the tutorials will help solve that :)

Any additional information ya'll can tell me, I would greatly appreciate.

attachments
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148768[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-148761.jpe
Views:	281
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	148766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-148762.jpe
Views:	307
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	148767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-148763.jpe
Views:	93
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	148768  
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
My Grandmother gave me one like this one, I had it for a couple of years then someone broke into our house stole my husband rifles, and my sewing machine that my grandmother gave me along with some fake jewery and my kirby vacume. I was so hurt that they took my machine since there was sentimental value on that machine. :oops:
This is a good reminder to keep a record of our serial numbers on our machines... In the event of a theft like this, you could give the # to the police and if the machine is ever recovered you could identify it as yours. I'm so sorry yours was stolen! Theives have no idea or care about what they steal from us...
Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by denise d
Guess I will join the fun. :D

Last night I got a new baby, her name is Elvirna. Her serial number is G1579905. From a couple of the links, I am thinking that she is from Elizabeth, NJ around 1911.

She is in super rough shape, but the tutorials will help solve that :)

Any additional information ya'll can tell me, I would greatly appreciate.
According to the Singer website (which is not always correct, btw...) your machine is a model 31. Does it look like this?:
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...mpany/p31.html

Would love to see a picture of your find!

(added) Okay, just saw the pics you uploaded... That's a model 66 Redhead, (or RedEye). So the serial number info on the Singer site isn't correct.

I have one (in my avatar) and LOVE it!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Glenn;

I've used my new to me FW and although I love the weight, I cannot get Betsy to sew a nice stitch. Just once out of probably 50 times did she sew nicely. Usually, mine skips stitches or makes extra long one or I get mess underneath and forget about the reverse. That cuts the thread like magic. I must say I am disappointed in it. Am going to buy the FW book to see if I can't get it working nicely. I travel for my job so am hoping that Betsy will be my travel companion.
Chris,
Do you have the needle in with the flat side to the left? The needle threads from right to left.
Is the "finger" of the bobbin base in between the slot on the underside of the throat plate? I use and service these little beauties.
Sharon W.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
You may still be able to get 206 X 1 needles. Although they are being phased out, some places may still have them in stock. when I get a machine that uses an odd size needle, I go ahead and buy at least 100 of them so that I make sure I have plenty.
I thought I had some, but they are 206x13s. Don't even remember what they fit (think senior moment here).[/quote]

206x13 is the correct needle for 206,306 and 319s
Old 02-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose

I know a 301 and FW are not the same machine, but when my 301 arrived in January, her tension was good, then it became erratic. I threatened her with banishment to the corner with the Kenmore with the same problem. I oiled the machine excessively and kept sewing. The tension is now perfect and stays well balanced. She just finished her first quilt. Maybe the old girls just need to be used.
Hadn't thought of that. Will try once work is less demanding. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Chris,
Do you have the needle in with the flat side to the left? The needle threads from right to left.
Is the "finger" of the bobbin base in between the slot on the underside of the throat plate? I use and service these little beauties.
Sharon W.
I will check and see. Don't know about that. Will check during my lunch break. Thanks for your feedback.