Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
sugar free baking help needed >

sugar free baking help needed

sugar free baking help needed

Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 AM

I have substituted splenda (or a generic) for the reg sugar.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 AM

thanks for the help..never thought of looking at splenda's website.
He isnt newly diagnosed..but lost abou 50 pounds when he was diagnosed..which is good.
He has a huge sweet tooth..and i just thought if i could substitute it would help.

thanks !
Kim
Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 AM

I use the library often to check for cookbooks. If I find a cookbook that helps me with my diet, I look for it on line and order it. I find that used are fine, if listed as good or very good condition. The last one I got for less than 3 dollars was in perfect condition.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 AM

Some medications have weight gaining properties. So no matter what you do, exercise is important, but may not control comletely the weight gain...do something though.

It really is about balancing protein and carbs. My spouse has been diabetic over 35 years. And sometimes no matter what you do, nothing works. Some diabetes (our case) was caused by the agent orange dispersant in Viet Nam. You deal with what you have to.

I use Splenda but bake with sugar. Splenda is made from sugar.

Use recipes that work for you best, watch those sweets and foods with high carbs. Oatmeal has 45 which is a lot but for guys that do yard work it lasts and lasts.

Most recipes out there have too many carbs. Most fruit, watermellon, especially orange juice are not the best. Cantalope, blackberries, blueberries, small apple are good ones.

Stuff we have learned and hope it helps you.
dianne
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 AM

thanks Diane...boy oatmeal? one would think with all the fibre it would be a good thing huh?

Originally Posted by DianneRab
Some medications have weight gaining properties. So no matter what you do, exercise is important, but may not control comletely the weight gain...do something though.

It really is about balancing protein and carbs. My spouse has been diabetic over 35 years. And sometimes no matter what you do, nothing works. Some diabetes (our case) was caused by the agent orange dispersant in Viet Nam. You deal with what you have to.

Use recipes that work for you best, watch those sweets and foods with high carbs. Oatmeal has 45 which is a lot but for guys that do yard work it lasts and lasts.

Most recipes out there have too many carbs. Most fruit, watermellon, especially orange juice are not the best. Cantalope, blackberries, blueberries, small apple are good ones.

dianne
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 AM

I use splenda for everything except for merringue (tried but it would never peak).
Old 02-15-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by DianneRab

dianne
>>I was born a diabetic so have had to deal with it for 60+ years, yes oatmeal has more carbs then most want. However oatmeal is a good choise for diabetics as your body has to work harder to digest it. Good Luck. :P
Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Banned

I am type 2 insulin dependent and changing to splenda will NOT make the baked goods any better!
Best to just stop the baked goods all together now!
I do have a pretty good natural recipe for brownies that uses applesauce as the sweetener. But still, the carbs are what get you, not the sugar, so unless you want to eat only the 1" sq cube of brownie, then don't make them..

forgot to mention that you want something that is more natural and LOW on the glycemic index....look at the recipes that use Agave syrup! I make a mean pecan pie using that...super sweet though...I can only have 2 TBSP of it...with NO crust!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 PM

Stevia is also a good sugar substitute. No chemicals.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM

When you have diabetes you have to remember that all carbohydrates are changed into sugar by your body after you have eaten them. That means all cakes, breads, rice, pasta, biscuits and scones have to be eaten in moderation. The same goes for bad and good sugars that you find in fruit, milk.
The main things a diabetic must watch is fat, salt and sugar. Some artificial sugars are just as harmful. Best thing to do is to read about low GI foods and go to a diabetic educator to make sure you understand how it all works or you can be doing more harm than good if you don't understand. A diabetic must also have a regular blood test every 3 months, so that the doctor can adjust medication and regular eye tests and dental check - ups. All the best with managing it. it becomes second - nature after a while.