Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine to take to classess - opinions?? >

Machine to take to classess - opinions??

Machine to take to classess - opinions??

Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 AM

Janome...I take my little one all over the place....I have one of the roller craft totes from Jo Anns....holds all my stuff....machine and all the stuff that goes with it and then some...love it....my 9 year old granddaughter sews on it too when I go to visit. Very user frendily.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Whichever machine you choose be sure to run test pieces to see what happens to your 1/4" seams. I have an 10-year-old Bernina that is heavy. I bought a $200 Kenmore to take to class. It had a 1/4" foot on it and the seams seemed to match my Bernina's. However, after a class of a quilt with rows of triangles, my Kenmore's rows were shorter than the ones I did on the Bernina at home. I gave the Kenmore to my niece and bought a new small Bernina on a close-out sale. I love the new 1/4" foot with the machine and my seams are identical on both machines.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:42 AM

I don't go to many classes, but I take my primary machine. If I'm going to work on the project at class and at home I want the stiches, 1/2 inch, etc., to all be the same. My primary machine is a Pfaff QE2 - not a lightweight machine - and I have a rolling case for it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM

My sewing machine tech sells featherweights and has worked on mine several times,when I didn't know how to take care of it.
He has quite a collection, and actually sells them.
If you are interested send a pm and I will send his info.
Mariah
Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 AM

I have a Bernadette 46 by Bernina. It is perfect for classes and very reasonably priced.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cdrlinda
Originally Posted by Laura22
The Brother CS6000i gets great reviews, from me too, and it's an amazingly lightweight machine that always does what it should. It's available from Amazon for a good price usually. If you search for it on this site or pattern review, you'll see how popular it is :)
I just bought this machine from Newegg.com. I gotva great price....bettervthan Amazon. My "good" machine is a brother also. Very easy to use
I also love this light machine, and since my home machine is also a brother, the feet are completely interchangable.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 AM

I love my featherweight but had a class where we needed a zig-zag stitch so it wouldn't work for that. Was at a Spring preview at a LQS and she had 5 Baby Lock Sofia machines so I ended up buying one of those and love it. It also is an embroidery machine so when I am ready to take some lessons in enbroidery I will be able to use it. Baby Lock also has an Audrey which is only 12# and is really nice to work on. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend for a "take-a-long" machine and if you will use it at home. I use my Sofia on one project while I am working on another project on my Esante.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Baby Lock Grace is a wonderful machine for class. Very light weight.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

I have a Jem Gold and Jem Platinum - love them both - the latter has a needle down function.
You can machine quilt on both.

My basic workhorse at home is a Bernina - I used to take it to classes, but then I got older (it's heavy).
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 AM

I bought a Janome gem gold 2 just for taking out of house to sew, light & has enuff stitches, there is a new one with a thread cutter, go to the Janome site & check it out. GOOD LUCK