Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I took a Paper-Piecing class >

I took a Paper-Piecing class

I took a Paper-Piecing class

Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Originally Posted by wendiq
Originally Posted by jdiane318
Carol Doak has the best beginning paper piecing book and it is the easiest way to learn. It is called Show Me How to Paper Piece. I didn't learn to use freezer paper. You use the paper templates in the book. I can promise you that if you use this book, it will change your mind and brighten your attitude. I love that I know how, but again, I would not do an entire quilt using it, but would incorporate some blocks.
Boy! Do I agree!!! Have tried all the methods, I think, and the CD method is the greatest!!!!
I also agree. best method !
I'm glad to see this thread. I have Carol's book but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's somewhere on my to-try list!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 PM

Paper piecing takes condidence, so don't give up.

Here is another little trick. After you havd sewn that little seam and are going to fold back your paper to trim with the 1/4 inch ruler, hold a stiff postcard like you get in the mail sometimes along the sewing line. Your paper will fold back so easily and straight. Then put your ruler along the paper and trim.

Also, if there are many seams with really small pieces, there is a 1/8 inch ruler, too. This one makes those seams smaller and there is less bulk.

I am not fast a paperpiecing, but sometimes I just like the pattern and want to do it.

Have fun!

Anne in AZ
Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 PM

I joined the Star BOM an this month the star is PP'd. I am doing everything I can(even cleaned the bathroom)to put off starting it.
David
Old 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
And got a little frustrated! :evil: There was no white freezer paper to be found in town, so I showed up for class in the city 30 min early to set up, and meet the other ladies. Then I remembered "No freezer paper" - and that the Quilt shop sold it. By the time they had finished cutting a massive order ahead of me, and I got my $0.35 piece of paper I was in a tizzy trying to sew and catch up. NEVER NEVER NEVER try to sew quickly when doing this technique! Good heavens - I spent longer ripping out seams than sewing! Definitely requires full concentration! Then I had 2 seams left to go and did it again! ARGH!!
On a positive note - I finished my Celtic Knot quilt that I have been working on since Sept 2009 - and have a 9-Patch On Point top 1/2 completed! Paper-piecing.....not my forte!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM

It is not yet your forte but it will come, once you hve more time.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
I joined the Star BOM an this month the star is PP'd. I am doing everything I can(even cleaned the bathroom)to put off starting it.
David
haha, I hear ya David, I just started another baby quilt to avoid making that star! lol
by the way, we are neighbors! I'm in Lancaster! :D
Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by WonkyWanda
Originally Posted by davidwent
David
haha, I hear ya David, I just started another baby quilt to avoid making that star! lol
by the way, we are neighbors! I'm in Lancaster! :D
AHHH Very cool <waving!!>
David
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM

It took me awhile to not be confused by the concepts of paper piecing. The mirror image thing was hard to accept. Once I got the hang of it, I hardly use the traditional methods of piecing. I love the perfect points and predictability of the finished product. I have made patterns I would never have attempted could I not paper piece. Hang in there! I think you will love it if you don't give up too early.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Carol Doak has the best beginning paper piecing book and it is the easiest way to learn. It is called Show Me How to Paper Piece. I didn't learn to use freezer paper. You use the paper templates in the book. I can promise you that if you use this book, it will change your mind and brighten your attitude. I love that I know how, but again, I would not do an entire quilt using it, but would incorporate some blocks.
her books are easy to follow - and usually have full size patterns.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM

I have got to get Carol Doak book. I have really be wanting to learn to paper piece.