Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt? >

How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 AM

Quilting about 25 yrs and taught for 5, don't know if I have a fav block. Civil War & Reproduction quilts & fabrics are most dear to my heart - but I love the modern prints & quilts now too. I just love it ALL :)
Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 AM

I've been quilting at least 40 years. My gramma and her two daughters taught me from a very early age how to sew by hand. I've never owned a sewing machine but have probably made hundreds of quilts and wall toppers. I also made all the clothes for my daughter as well as most of my own. Retired several year ago and now am working on a small quilting business. I prefer the old fashioned styles such as the rail fence or the log cabin. At least once a year I make an old fashioned block anything goes quilt for my granddaughter. She isn't interested herself but I want her to have something in the cedar chest that she can say 'my gramma made this for me in / year! I also enjoy the country style star patterns. I'll need to start next on the great grands...one boy one girl and one on the way....
Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 AM

I love paper piecing
Old 02-15-2011, 12:02 PM

I made my first quilt when I was a kid - for a doll. Learned to sew but don't remember making any more quilts until my first son was born and he'll be 45 in June. Back in the late 60's, made a couple of tops where the blocks from different states were traded thru the mail (no internet then). Time went by and I had a couple of daughters to make tops for (they are now 30ish). About 1989 I met a lovely lady and she quilted some. I made a log cabin quilt out of flannel using a pattern she gave me and I've been going at it ever since.

I don't know if I could pick a favorite pattern. I have a 3-D bow tie pattern I've used several times; also a 3-D pinwheel. I tend to lean more towards simple patterns and love using bright bold colors.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:25 PM

LOVE Paper Piecing, bigger the better-Landscapes are a favorite.
Card Tricks for the Quilt Block.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

I have been quilting about 20+ years now and if I had to pick just ONE fave block it would be the Martha WAshington star! though most any star block is good!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:38 PM

I took a quilt class in the 70s and made a king-size sampler quilt. I used polyester batting and tried to hand quilt it. What I did was acceptable, but I never finished it. I put it on our bed half quilted and half pinned and used it for years. The solid colors faded badly and now it really looks awful. The year I finished piecing the top my mother died and whenever I see that quilt it makes me want to cry.

Having gone back to quilting in the past several years at the prodding of my DDIL, I am amazed at how piecing and sewing and finishing blocks had improved and become so much more efficient. I love quilts and I love looking at them they are breath taking. I don't care which pattern is used, they just give me a thrill.

Since the 70s class, I have made 6 quilts. I SID 3 of them and had the others professionally quilted. I have had a time getting comfortable with FMQing. My DIL has done it on her 35-year old Kenmore. She is amazing and has made, oh so many beautiful quilts. She is my inspiration and my helper. We love shopping together; I look she buys. She picks out the most beautiful and different prints and colors and I am totally intimidated. I buy kits and that is fine. I love them and I am learning from them about colors and styles.

I have a cute and funny story to tell about my DIL's daughter, my GD, Maria. She would accompany her mom and me to the LQS. She was probably 3 or 4. The owner, Jinny, loved her and would let her "help" her. They got to be great friends. One day when my DIL and GD took me with them, Maria said that she wanted to introduce me to her new friend. She took me by the hand and led me into Jinny's office and said, "Jinny this is my Nonnie. She lets me dip my cookies in my milk!"

My DIL told the children that they could not dip their cookies in their milk, but my DDIL would let me let the children dip them at my house. I told them that they could only do it here and it was okay with mom. It's funny isn't it? How such a simple thing can mean so much to a child. The first thing they would do when I took care of them is ask if they could have milk and cookies. That's what Nonnies are for right?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 PM

I have been quilting about 6 yrs. My favorite part is going to the fabric store and picking out the colors I want to use. I really don't have a favorite. I just got done making the hour glass. It was easy but has a unique pattern whenits all put together.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 PM

2005 and I love to make miniature log cabin blocks thirteen or more pieces in a 2 inch block
Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM

I have been quilting for 6 years. I went to the local library and took out a lot of quilt books and taught myself. My favorite is the Lone Star. I am working on a baby churn dash for my niece.