Small World Coincidences

Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 AM

The world is a very small place! I don't personally have anything more than working at a sales counter in VA and the customer talking about a shop in NYC, and after 20 questions, it turns out it's Mandolin Bros, a shop down the street from where I used to live...but, don't take my aunt ANYWHERE!
If you introduce yourself with a name as common as SMITH, she will find out that you are third cousins of a neighbor her mother went to school with!!! :mrgreen:
Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM

When we adopted our daughter (28 years ago) found that her grandfather and my uncle went to the same high school at the same time. Many miles removed from where either of us lived at the time.

A friend found that she and her husband were in the newborn nursery at the same hospital at the same time - they share a birthday. Neither family knew the other and they didn't reconnect for almost 40 years at a wedding of a mutual friend.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

I have a few.......I was from Long Island and shopped for fabric in a little store Jays Cotton Shop. There was a salesgirl that I would talk to ALL the time. I moved to Ohio. Over a year ago I joined the board. A few months later there was a new member it is Lynnie. Lynnie was the salesgirl that I would always talk to in the fabric store.

Another........I belong to a historical sewing forum. 3 years ago there was a young woman how said she had so much sewing today before her 1st baby arrived and she didn't know how she was going to get it all done. I had my 1st and last name as my user name. Anyway she lived in Cincinnati so I sent her a PM if she needed sewing help and didn't mind bringing it to my house and then picking it up I would help her. She wrote back and asked if I had a son names James. I said yes she said she was Emily ***** Jim was home it was spring break and I asked him if he knew her he said the only Emily he knew was Emily @@@@@. I told her that and she said yes that was her however she was now married. Jim and Emily knew each other from church. Emily she come to my house for lunch about 2 years ago but I talk to her on the phone all the time.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx
My husband likes to fish and has a bass boat. He likes me to bring the trailer around for him to load the boat. I hate it. Long bed pick-up with a double cab and standard shift. BACKING down the boat ramp into the water to load the boat. I cried every time I had to do it until I found THE METHOD. I look around for a middle-aged male and ask, "Please, Sir, will you save my marriage?" Then ask the guy to back that stupid truck down the ramp. I've never been turned down. Anyway - one time at Table Rock Lake in Missouri I used THE METHOD. They guy I asked ended up in the water helping my husband load that boat. Once they looked at each other they realized they had gone to school together - in tiny
Cordell, OK. Knew each other quite well, but had lost touch. So the guy living in S. Texas met the guy he'd known in OK in Missouri at the bottom of a boat ramp.

My family vacations at table rock lake all the time! It's about 2 hours away from where we live!! Another Coincidence!!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 PM

My husband and I have those things. His mother was born on the western side of the state and moved east. My mother was born on the eastern side of the state and moved west. Our maternal grandmothers lived in the same tiny town on the eastern side of the state but not at the same time. Our paternal grandmothers died exactly one year and one hour apart. We have several things like that but those are the main ones.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Several years ago, my DH and I were on a bus tour of Yosemite. The guide was asking everybody where they were from and one couple said they were from Michigan (I grew up there but had lived in another state for probably 15 years). At the next stop I told them I was originally from Michigan and asked what part they lived in. Turns out they were from the next town over from where I grew up. I told them my maiden name and, sure enough, they knew my dad, my uncles, my cousins...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 PM

I used to go to a school with a fellow called Michael. Anyway, he left school before I did, and when I left, my first job I had, turns out I worked with his dad. I never did see him though....but about a year later, I left that job, and got another just up the road from where I was working about 5 years later, and at this time started catching the bus to work. Sure enough, Michael used to catch the same bus, to a worksite right next door to mine!

Anyway, time goes by he left his job, I left mine, then about 15 years later I was in Queensland visiting a theme park. And guess who was operating the chairlift that day? You guessed it! Michael. Now its been probably 15 years since Isaw him last, so Im sure he will pop up again somewhere
Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Oh, here's one. I moved to Oklahoma and worked in the H&R Block office there. I discovered one of the girls I worked with's cousins lived next door to my cousins in a small town in Colorado.

I almost forgot, the office manager in that office's granddaughter went to the same high school as my granddaugter in a small town in Kansas.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Love these stories!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 PM

My granddaughter and I were fabric shopping at Mary Jo's near Charlotte, NC. As we were talking about which fabric went with a print we'd picked out, an older lady across a roll of bolts ask us a question about where to find something. I looked up and thought the lady looked familiar. It was hearing her speak that made me realize that she was my husband's aunt from Arkansas. We hadn't seen each other for many years.... we had a wonderful laugh over that one.