Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine to take to classess - opinions?? >

Machine to take to classess - opinions??

Machine to take to classess - opinions??

Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM

You might consider buying a rolling case for your machine. I have one and it works like a suit case on rollers. I bring my Pfaff to my classes without a problem.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Absolutely! 221 Featherweight is the best choice. Check e-bay and you will find varying prices. I love mine.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM

I don't have a featherwieght but I'd love to own one. My problem is with taking them to class. They're outdated so how do you keep up if they don't even back tack. I'm sure it's a wonderful machine but we've come a long way and I just can't imagine using them for anything but straight piecing at home. Am I missing something. Maybe I have a lot to learn.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM

Janomes are very good machines, as they are now connected with Kenmore. I have had my 2 Kenmore machines from the early 1970's. I still use them, both workhorses.

Sears Kenmore now has an embroidery sewing machine that I was tempted to purchase. My latest machine is a Brother 950D machine. Its wonderful..very accurate embroidery built in patterns, with an additional CD disc to add more, and you get the free lessions, which I didn't get with my Kenmores.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Very good to know ... I am getting a Janome MC6500 for the house and maybe need to stick with the same brand for the portable.

Originally Posted by Janette
Whichever machine you choose be sure to run test pieces to see what happens to your 1/4" seams. I have an 10-year-old Bernina that is heavy. I bought a $200 Kenmore to take to class. It had a 1/4" foot on it and the seams seemed to match my Bernina's. However, after a class of a quilt with rows of triangles, my Kenmore's rows were shorter than the ones I did on the Bernina at home. I gave the Kenmore to my niece and bought a new small Bernina on a close-out sale. I love the new 1/4" foot with the machine and my seams are identical on both machines.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
F*E*A*T*H*E*R*W*E*I*G*H*T
Absolutely! Featherweight!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
I don't have a featherwieght but I'd love to own one. My problem is with taking them to class. They're outdated so how do you keep up if they don't even back tack. I'm sure it's a wonderful machine but we've come a long way and I just can't imagine using them for anything but straight piecing at home. Am I missing something. Maybe I have a lot to learn.
Yes, you can back tack by lifting the reverse lever. You can now get 1/4" and walking feet, which are wonderful for quilters. I understand that Singer has recently brought back the featherweight, but I haven't checked them out. I really love the sturdiness and reliability of the old well made 221s.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:43 PM

I have a couple of FW's for sale, if you are interested. They come with cases and are very lightweight. - Cynthia
Old 02-15-2011, 03:43 PM

I have a Bernette, weighs only 12 lbs. It is great for classes, and has a walking foot available.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tilladare
You might also consider the Baby Lock Audrey... Comparable to the Janome Gem, but a little bit less expensive
I have the baby lock audrey and absolutely LOVE it!! It does have the "needle down", a ton of fancy stitches, and everything I have needed. It sews a beautiful stitch. I have no compaints with it.
Remarkably enough; my Viking Lily feet and the Baby Lock feet are interchangable!!