Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!!....Backache!!! >

HELP!!!!....Backache!!!

HELP!!!!....Backache!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Elfi2
:cry:
Has anyone out there some advice, maybe had the same problem before :?
I have got quite severe backache, somewhere between the shoulder blades. There are parts where the muscles seems very hard and tense. Been to a couple of great massages :D but on the long run, it'll come back again.
The other day I sat at my machine and done a little quilting and there it was again, severe again :x so I'm assuming it could come from the way I sit at my sewing machine or even maybe the computer.
Has anyone got any suggestions what to do to help this problem??? Would be very thankful for any ideas.
I love quilting and I always pray the Lord will keep my eyes fit enough, my hands and my back too, so there must be a solution!!! :thumbup:
Thanks for your replies and God bless you all!!!
Elfi
You might try getting a different chair with better back support. I have a bad back- had back surgery - I make sure that I don't lean over something toooooo long, or I know I will suffer later on in the day. Also make sure that my back us supported when sitting.
I was using my mother's old Singer bench (with no back) - OMG - a couple of hours sewing sitting on that - really cramped up my back
Old 02-15-2011, 02:23 PM

I just find that I can sometimes adjust the height of my computer sewinging chairs by chair cushions just like trying to get use to my TRI- focals trail and error
Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 PM

I used to get a horrible pain like that;... behind your scapula? ( wing/, shoulder blade?). then the pain radiates up your neck to the base of your skull, and you can't look up, or sideways?.... I only found a couple things that took care of it, in my case;
1. a capasacion (sp?)cream. Arbonne makes a great one. becareful it is HOT.
2. I found that my pillow was too flat, I'm a side sleeper.
3. pressure point massage, that's where your husband, or whome ever, takes their knuckle and digs into the 'knot' behind your scapula; yes, this is very painful, but you'll get some relief.
4.stretching exercises, where you hold onto the wrist on the painful side, and stretch that arm out in front of you, hold it to a count of 10, relax and do it again.
Good luck
Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Elfi2
:cry:
Has anyone out there some advice, maybe had the same problem before :?
I have got quite severe backache, somewhere between the shoulder blades. There are parts where the muscles seems very hard and tense. Been to a couple of great massages :D but on the long run, it'll come back again.
The other day I sat at my machine and done a little quilting and there it was again, severe again :x so I'm assuming it could come from the way I sit at my sewing machine or even maybe the computer.
Has anyone got any suggestions what to do to help this problem??? Would be very thankful for any ideas.
I love quilting and I always pray the Lord will keep my eyes fit enough, my hands and my back too, so there must be a solution!!! :thumbup:
Thanks for your replies and God bless you all!!!
Elfi
Check out crazy short cut quilts on Youtube she as a video telling you the hieght of the table and chair you should be using, worked for me. :-D
Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM

You might try putting a small pillow at the small of your back when sitting. That seems to help me, especially when sewing or driving.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM

I just came back to sewing after the doctor took it away for 3 months because of the damage it did to my back. Now I hope I have learned to get up and stretch, do excericises, and adjust the way I sit. I bought a tall sewing desk and found out it was to tall now I am working to adjust everything so it is all the right hight. I also have to stop merathon sewing 10 to 12 hours at a time is to much..A procrastinator I am. and then i am rushed.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:23 PM

I use a back brace if u don't have one go to a sports and buy a ronner one that will velcro on. I use it only when I am sewing for a long time. Hope this helps
Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM

What kind of pillow do you sleep on? Do you sleep on your back, side, or stomach? I found once I got a bigger pillow (I'm a side sleeper) my neck and shoulders improved a lot. I was putting too much pressure on my shoulder while sleeping. Two pillows were too firm, but a new one made specially for side sleepers was just the ticket. Got it on sale for less than $20. figure to replace it about every 4 to 6 months.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM

My new machine was 5 inches higher than my older one. Had pain in left shoulder referred from my neck. Lowering machine helped some. Do not discount cholesterol or bone medicines as a cause if you take any. They both kill my neck, back, and shoulders. I wonder if the good they do is worth the pain they cause. Let me know if you take these meds. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Numa
Raise the back of your sewing machine so you are sewing with it tipped. You will be surprised!
This surprises me because I saw the exact opposite advice somewhere not too long ago. Wish I could remember where. They suggested using wedge type rubber door stops to raise the front of the machine. This provides a better sight line into the area you're trying to see, and is supposed to relieve strain on your upper back. I found it inconvenient because the machine tended to slip off the door stops, but it did seem to make it more ergonomic for me, and I was planning to fasten the wedges down some way and try again. I guess my point is, if one way doesn't help, try another?