Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you avoid shaking hands with arthritic hands? >

how do you avoid shaking hands with arthritic hands?

how do you avoid shaking hands with arthritic hands?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM

I curl my little finger, which pulls my next finger also, and the result is the person I'm shaking hands with get a hand full of bent fingers. I used to almost cry at times, but since doing this (several years now) no one has ever squeezed my hand and hurt me. This way it is possible to make that customary "welcome" by shaking hands, but w/o the pain!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM

I don't shake hands with men, so when I feel that someone is going to try to shake my hand, I press it against my own upper chest with my palm to my chest, and say, "I don't shake hands, but I'm pleased to meet you" with a smile in my voice and on my face. I too, wish this custom would die. My father in law was very respected in his community and people used to kiss his hand, which he didn't like to accept; he was humble. He used to pull his hand back, kiss it, and touch it to his heart. The women in my community all kiss cheeks when meeting. It can be a bit much sometimes.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM

In the winter, I keep my hands in my pockets of my coat. At Church there are a couple of greeters that practically squash my hands. I finally just told them about my RA and now they ask how the hands are today. Jan
Old 02-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I put out both hands, and I place their hand in between mine. This is MY version of a handshake :wink:

I have fibro and arthritis in my hands, and this works for me :wink: I will explain if I get a quizzical look that my ol' hands get hurt easily. :D:D:D
I have RA too and sometimes I just bypass the offer and pat the person on the upper arm or shoulder. Another ploy is to offer your left hand with throws them off base long enough for you to explain. You could try a high five or a short bow.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 PM

I have put out my other hand. I know what it is like. A former
pastor use to just about make me yell until I decided to put out
my other hand.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 PM

First off, is there anything wrong with being honest. Just say very nicely, I would love to shake your hand but mine are very sensitive and pained. explaine if you wish. I think more people understand than don'e understand,
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 PM

I was taught that a lady lifts her hand up as if to show off a ring, only with th efingers rounded. Most people just give my fingers a gentle squeeze. Long ago, a gentleman would take a lady's hand and kiss it. A lady doesn't shake hands is what I was taught.

I also nod my head as I extend my curved hand. This is the only way I know to do it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM

i don't have a solution but it sure hurts! my mom's hands are deformed with rheu arthritis and I even had to tell a nurse in the hospital to not try to pull her up by grabbing her hands as it is quite painful. (my mom does not speak so can't tell her). you would think a nurse would know so I guess i don't expect the average person to notice or think about it. Once it happened at a banquet I was at and I knew the guy pretty well and when he grabbed it I scared him by going down on my knees and yelping - was joking around but made my point!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by toomanycats
I have arthritis in my hands and some days is very painful and sensitive. It hurts alot to have someone grab a hand. How do you polietly refuse to shake someones hand that is offered without looking like I am nuts or stuck up?
Fist Bump! Never hard & then you look COOL - just like the Prez.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
First off, is there anything wrong with being honest. Just say very nicely, I would love to shake your hand but mine are very sensitive and pained. explaine if you wish. I think more people understand than don'e understand,

Again, there are times it's not practical to explain-----------as during Mass at the sign of peace. Generally a person will shake hands with 5 or 6 people. Just not time