Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Kid friendly Machine??? >
  • Kid friendly Machine???

• Kid friendly Machine???

Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by lclang
    My Babylock has a speed control and pushbutton operation (if you want to use it), thus making it handy for kids to use because their legs are so short. I would start them on a really good machine because nothing discourages a budding sewer like a machine that does not operate properly. I also have a Featherweight which I would be happy to allow the kids to use after a little experience on the Babylock to learn the basics.
    My handcrank machines are a Singer 201k(full size) and 99K(3/4 size), the grkids like how nice and smooth they sew.
    I learned to sew on a very cranky Singer Touch & Sew, OMG I hated that machine and I didn't like to sew either.
    :cry: :thumbdown:
    Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 PM

I'd look at a basic but full size Janome or any other brand that has speed control on it. With the Janome you can slide the control from slow to fast and no matter how hard you press on the foot control, it won't go faster than the set rate.
    I started sewing doll clothes when I was 8. i think if they're showing interest - tap it!
    The problem with a kids machine is they will outgrow it, and they will be looking for it to do more, once they get the basics down.
    Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 AM

The Janome Magnolia is a great starter machine for kids, my 7 and 8 year old grand kids both use one. They are also a good machine to take to classes because they are light weight.
    Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 AM
    nab

I have sewed since I was 7. The cheaper Brother are great uncomplicated machines. Go over the safety with her. You would be surprised how the desire to do something will help her be safe. Who knows you may have a great quilter on your hands. Teach her while she wants to learn.
    Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM

My grand kids did just fine on a regular sized Singer.
    Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM

teach her to hand sew first......then go to the machine....just a suggestion. She will definitely learn to respect the sharp end of a needle that way.......gently, I might add.
    Old 02-16-2011, 12:58 PM

Wow this brings back memories of my learning days on my mother's treadle. Let us know what you decide.
    Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM

I have taught several 10 year olds to sew and, IMHO, I would def. say not to buy a "toy" machine or anything that looks like it's for children. Get a decent (used) machine and let them grow into and keep it for years. When she is 13 she won't want to sew on Hello Kitty!
    Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 AM

It doesn't really matter what brand you get her but get a real machine not a toy. Also if you purchase the machine at someplace like Walmart or K-Mart you will not have anyone to help when something doesn't work. If you purchase the machine at a dealer or a company owned store she will recieve lessons on how to use the machine and will learn the correct way to hold her hands when sewing so that she will not put a needle in her finger until she is much older (like I did about 20 years ago LOL). She will also have someplace to find extra feet and look for advise on her sewing projects if you buy from a dealer or company owned store.
    Old 02-18-2011, 05:49 PM

My five year old grandson loves to sew. He has been using my Bernina, but I found a small one for $14.99. It has a bobbin so it sews for real. I think I will set it up next to mine. His mother says he talks about sewing and when someone comes to the house he shows them his "work". When he gets older I will get him a better one. :-D
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-149585.jpe
Views:	125
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	149590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-149625.jpe
Views:	122
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	149630