Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine to take to classess - opinions?? >

Machine to take to classess - opinions??

Machine to take to classess - opinions??

Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 PM

I use a featherwieght for all my quilting even the FMQ I have found that I don't even use the feeddog cover I bought-what a waste of that money. It works great. The only other feature I miss would be a zig-zag.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM

I just got the Janome Gem and I love it. But does not have a needle down feature on mine. Wish it did, but otherwise a great machine.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 PM

I, too, was looking for a light weight machine to take to classes and weekly "quilt togethers" with SIL, as my regular machine weighs in at about 25 lbs. Due to some medical issues I just couldn't carry it any more, esp up & down 3 flights of stairs each Thurs nite (that's when SIL & I get tog). So I bought a Bernette by Bernina. I believe it's 9 lbs and I love it. It comes with 2 feet and a buttonholer, and has several different stitch styles. I can carry it with no problem, even up & down those flights of stairs! And you just can't beat the price - $149.00!! That's cheaper than WalMart and I have a local dealer in case I need service. So far, so good. :thumbup:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM

I have a Janome Gem Gold that does not have the needle up/down position and it is the one I took to classes because it was so lightweight. However, I just bought a Janome AQS Anniversary machine and it does have the needle up/down position. It is light weight and I am enjoying it very much. I drag it to the kitchen or sunroom or wherever I get the best light and it's the one I use most of the time.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM

I have the Jem Gold 2, its all mechanical and is good for taking to quilt classes; for anything more than piecing, I take my Pfaff. The Jem Gold 2 stays at quilting bee, it only gets used on Wednesdays.
I also have 3 Featherweights that I like for piecing quilts.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 PM

I agree with the featherweight.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 AM

I have had a Janome Gem for about 12yrs! it's a great little workhorse for taking to classes!!! Love it! In my sewing room I have Husqvarna 870 with acryllic extension table permanently set up. Suits me!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
F*E*A*T*H*E*R*W*E*I*G*H*T

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! get a FEATHERWEIGHT
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by biscuitqueen
I use a featherwieght for all my quilting even the FMQ I have found that I don't even use the feeddog cover I bought-what a waste of that money. It works great. The only other feature I miss would be a zig-zag.
I once told a salesperson who tried to sell me a $2,500 Viking to replace my 6430, that I really only needed a machine that sewed forward, backward, and had a zig-zag stitch. That hasn't changed. I bought a zig-zag attachment on e-bay for my 301. Then I was told that they really do not work because they move the fabric, not the needle. Since I really do not need the zig-zag for quilting at this point, I am fine with a machine that sews forward and backward, especially since it is so dependable with a beautiful stitch, and I can take it apart and service it myself. However, I do have my eye on the nonelectric Janome that does have a zig-zag to use for nonquilting everyday sewing/mending.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 AM

Janome Jem or Magnolia 7330 are good machines to carry to classes.