Small World Coincidences

Old 02-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Don't know how often the same birth dates crop up in your lives but my mother, my husband, my lifelong best friend and my aerobics teacher (for 20 years) all share the same birthday.

When my BIL was in military and stationed across the country, my SIL missed her mom terribly but could not afford to call her mom, so out of loneliness SIL bought herself a humane society dog and named her after my MIL. Missing her daughter, one day my MIL went out and bought herself a humane society dog and named her after her daughter. When SIL finally moved back to NH (bringing her dog) not only did they discover they bought the dogs on the same day, they noticed the two dogs were almost identical in appearance (same black and white markings) and looked like they could have come from the same litter.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Here's another interesting one, my oldest son was taking a bus home from south Texas to Kansas and was sitting in a bus station in Amarillo Texas. He started talking to a guy that was taking a bus home to western New Mexico and they discovered they're mothers are first cousins. They hadn't seen each other since they were toddlers.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 AM

When my late husband and I started doing genealogy, we found many coincidences between his ancestors and my first husband's ancestors who were of German extraction. Both families had ancestors who came to Texas around the same time, lived in the same communities, attended the same church, and moved farther north to the same county at the same time. Both my husbands' fathers were carpenters at the same army base and at the same time. And a few years ago, first DH's cousin lived down the road from my 2nd DH's sister. But, to our knowledge, neither family knew the other.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 AM

OK, I grew up in a large city in southern MA (near Cape Cod) ... my husband grew up in small town in southern NH... when we were dating and my hubby found out my grandmother's birth name, he mentioned spending a lot of time on the neighboring farm as a child where there was a farmhand with the same last name... turns out it was my grandmother's sister's oldest son...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 AM

I'm loving each and every one of these great stories. J Thank you for starting this great thread!

I have two it’s a small world stories to tell from the same trip. The summer my older sister graduated high school--her best friend was planning on going to Florida to college. She ask my sister, another girl from our group and myself to drive from Missouri to Florida with her so she could take a look around her new school. We jumped at the chance since it would be the first time we'd all been away from our families and we all felt so grown up! LOL After many warnings about talking to strangers and ‘please call us often’ warnings--we were off! We stopped in New Orleans on the way down and spent the night. We went to dinner and the server looks so familiar to me and she kept looking at me too. I reasoned with myself that there was no way I could know her. She came over and as ask if I was Betty's daughter? Oh my! She knew my mom--she'd lived for a short time in my home town a and my mom baby sat her and her twin sister! It killed me that I was in a strange and exotic city only to run into someone that knew my mom. LOL

We got to Florida and our friend took the tour of the university and we were ready to leave. As we're pulling away we decided to get gas right across the street from her school. Here I am sitting in the back of a gold Mustang, feeling all grown up and cool in my large shades and what do I hear? "Hey are you Mike's little sister?" I look up and into a goofy, smiling freckled face I knew all to well--my brother's (seven years older than me) best friend! Good grief!! LOL

After that trip, I've never considered the world to be that big of a place if you come from Missouri!! LOL

Sashing-Sarah709
Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 PM

I was on a business trip in Oklahoma City and stopped by Wendy's to get a salad before heading back to my hotel.

While I was there I heard a man's voice order hot tea and he was telling the cashier that more and more hotels no longer offer tea and he doesn't like to drink coffee late at night. The voice sounded familiar.

I walked up behind him and said, "You used to work for Offshore Power Systems in Jacksonville, FL, didn't you?"

He said, "uh yes I did but how did you know ....PEGGY????"

Jerry and his family left Jacksonville and moved to TN in the late 1970's. We left Jacksonville and moved to Miami, FL, then Colulmbus, OH, then Tampa, FL, and at that time we were living in Chicago, IL. We had not seen each other in almost 30 years.

Who would have thought!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 PM

My maiden name was Porter and I married a Johnson my husbands cousin a Johnson married a Porter we found out this the day we got married they got married 1 week later

When working at the prision in AZ their was an older employee there asked me my maiden name. Turns out he and my biological father {whom I didnt really know} were best friends in the Navy He was able to tell me a lot about my father and he and I became good friends
Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM

I had a car accident where my vehicle flipped a couple of times (luckily I was not injured. Just a small cut on my elbow). The paramedic's name had my name. He asked my name and I said, Kelly Baker, and he said that's my name. Stop reading my name tag. And he asked again, and I said look at my driver's license, it's really Kelly Baker. The officer who came on the scene of the accident had the EXACT same name as my brother, Robert Lee Baker. It was so crazy!! Same town, same names.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:50 PM

My sister and her family live in Northern California and they were visiting Disneyland. She walked by this guy and he goes, aren't you going to say hi? Turns out it was our brother from WA visiting Disneyland at the same time.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM

My husband and I grew up less than 5 miles from each other and never knew each other. He worked in a grocery store at the age of 18 (now 59 years old) as a box boy. My mother used to shop at that market even though it was about 15 to 20 minutes from our home. She swears she remembers my husband when he was 18, working at that store as a box boy. She said he was always so very polite and helpful. It was probably 10 years after that, that my hubby and I met, fell in love and married (28 years ago). So, my Mom knew my husband years before I did.

I love this post very much. I love hearing stories like this. I love reminders of how small this world really is. It's a very cozy and comfy little world.