Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7 >

Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7

Gramma's Sampler has begun!! Final Pictures Page 7

Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

Melissa,,here is the link to the tute I did for you on the Grandmothers Fan..

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15094.page

Hope it helps...
Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM

I picked out backing and binding material from Bear Paw's great sale. It arrived today. I think the pic is horrible. This is by far the most "green" green I've ever seen. It's a bright crayola green with slighter darker cloudy prints on it.

I have a darker green that I was originally going to use for backing and binding, but it has really pretty leaves printed on it, so I'm going to use it for sashing. Hopefully, the affect will be that the 9 blocks will look like flowers and the green will hold them together. We shall see.

I ordered the fabric Tuesday. I was sent a confirmation on the order and a shipping confirmation Wednesday and I received it today. I'm very pleased.

[IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...andbinding.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM

I agree with the others .. fabric choices are great and I love that firecracker looking fabric.. have seen it before. I also think we sometimes forget how satisfying pieceing is.... to take little pieces of fabric and put them together into something beautiful. Kind of like our lives we take bits and pieces of people and experiences and piece them together and hope we come out with something beautiful. I know your grandmother will love it! My sister and I made one for our grandmother ... she loved it... and now we just miss her! Enjoy yours!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 PM

The fabric choices ARE great. Can't wait to see the quilt.

And Faith. I agree with you on how satisfying piecing is. I can get lost in the process. My mind is completely and totally focused on that and nothing disturbing can enter. It's like someone said on another thread -- I'm in the zone. I'm told this is very good for lowering blood pressure. Since I run a pretty high blood pressure, perhaps it's good that I can lose myself in my piecing.

Another thing that has been satisfying to me is the support from this great group of people on the board. I had no idea there were so many people "like me." -- nuts about quilting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-10-2009, 05:08 PM

I met a new friend today. I "met" her a few months ago, here, but today we had a chance to meet in person. Between judy's great tutorial, her and her fabo friends who just accepted me in like I've always been there, we knocked that Grandmother's Fan right on it's hiney!

I also got a great idea about the dresden plate that I've never thought of before.

Without further ado, Block 7 of 8. Grandmother's Fan.

I love history. I doubt Gramma will remember, but I know my aunts will. I volunteered at a local historical museum when I was growing up. My favorite room was the one with all the fans. In that room, was a list of different motions and the language of the fan. They were so lacy and beautiful. I really wanted to add some lace, but I'm really happy how the zigzag turned out without it.

Between the Grandmother's Fan and Grandmother's Choice, I more picked them for their names than any particular memory. But I so love the look of fans.

[IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...mothersFan.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-10-2009, 05:33 PM

:oops: LOL! I feel special - I got to see these fabulous blocks in person, and they are awesome!! It was a great afternoon, and it's not hard to like a person as terrific as you are :lol:
Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

I just want to share THANK YOU for sharing all this with us ! I have followed all of your progress do far and feel honored to be allowed to share it with you. I know your grandma will love it and treasure it !
Sharon
Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM

Thanks. I keep writing, like a long letter, the explanations that cover all of the blocks. I haven't really talked about the fabric a whole lot.

I have always associated pastel colors with Gramma. I don't know why, it just is. When I decided to make a sampler, then HER sampler, I was thinking in my head about the pale yellows, pinks, blues and greens. But, without telling any of the family about the sampler, we got on the topic of flowers. My gramma LOVES flowers. She always has fresh cuts from her own bed all spring and summer long. My uncle had mentioned how it was getting so hard for her to see things, even in her flower magazines because she loves bright colors and she couldn't see the pale ones anymore. So, out with the pastels, in with the brights.

Originally, the pansy fabric was going to be the focus fabric. I'm not sure how it didn't work that way, but I have quite a bit left over. So, it's going to become some corner squares to try to highlight it a bit more.

The rest, just matched in with the pansies. I found this pretty yellow with the tiniest white polka dots. When I was little, Gramma made me a dress with puffy princess sleeves, ruffles, lace, rick rack...you name it, it was on there. It was my favorite dress for as long as it fit me. I wasn't really a girly girl. I didn't play with dolls or have tea parties. I HATED dresses and only wore them to the religious services. Then came THAT dress. It had the same tiny white polka dots as my dress material, but it was yellow instead of pink. I couldn't find a pink one to match, but it made me think of that dress anyway.

Got going on the plate last night and I'm amazed at my own progress. It means a lot to hear feedback on how the blocks look cause I don't get out of the house to see my quilt friends often enough. I know that the feedback here is right, and if something I made needed tweaked, some wonderful gal/guy on here would tell me.

Thanks for being on this journey with me. We are in the final leg now.

Melissa
Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Banned

Melissa, this has been a great journay and I have enjoyed coming along with you..you did a great job on your fan block.. glad I could help and happy that you found someone in real life that helped you too...

Lets see, you are in NE, so not far from me. Keep me posted as you move along to the next step,, I would love to get together with you to help sandwich and quilt your top...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 AM

WOW! I have been out of comission for the past month or so when it has come t looking at the quilt board items. I have so enjoyed reading this tale of the birth of Gramma's Sampler!

Glad to see you took GailG's advice about the journal too - you got a lot of encouragement from other "followers" too - but it really was such a great idea.

Your blocks are lovely - and even though your grandma only remembered about your quilt talk for 3 weeks, when you give it to her, she will be thrilled. She may not comprehend the journal, but in years to come when it is handed down to another family member, it will become totally invaluable due to the family history that will be contained within it and the token of deep love shown by the lap quilt and the story that goes with it.

Keep up the super work - we all look forward to seeing the finished product and hearing about Gramma's receipt of it. (With pictures of course!).