women friends

Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Banned

Was brought up as a lone child ,brought up by g/parents---Mother died when I was 3 , father remarried and I HATED new wife!!
Lived in a tiny village and other kids were much older, have always been a loner, LOVE my dogs and husb,like being on my own, do email and phone occasionally those away or too old/sick to go out.
Am very happy with the situation and don't feel weird.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:03 PM

I grew up with 4 brothers, so I'm more comfortable around men.I get around women I feel like it's a competition.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:45 PM

And here I thought I was kinda strange, liking to be by myself. My late DH was my best friend for almost 40 years, kids all off on their own. I have 2 different sets of friends of many years, my woman's club since 1972, we meet as a group 3 or 4 times a month and catch up on our lives by e-mails. The other group is the ones I go in blood drives with, one of whom has been a friend since 1984, others are neat people and were close to me when DH spent 3 years in the nursing home.

Favorite sister is almost as bad with shopping. She asked me to help her choose an Almost-Mother-of-the-Groom outfit, (this guy almost lived at their house as a kid) since she walks into a store, if she doesn't see anything in 20 feet or so she's out of there!!! But she lives many miles down the road and we see each other 3 or so times a year, visiting by train.

My cats don't talk much, don't like TV, read a lot and sew and garden. I LIKE my life this way. No way will I ever get married again! Had the best DH ever.

Grew up as a single kid with Grandma till late teens when I joined up with parents and siblings..Grandma was my anchor in life.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Well - I'm plum amazed that so many of us are alike when it comes to doing things alone! When you come right down to it, unless we're in a class, piecing and quilting is a loner hobby. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy classes - the girlfriendness of it as well as the learning new things. But I wouldn't want to do it every day. As for shopping, I just about HATE it. Always have. It may be why we are enjoying a comfortable retirement -AND why I don't feel guilty about my stash!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:39 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one! I think quilting is part of the reason. I get together with other quilters but don't really pal around with anyone in particular. I HATE to go shopping - the internet was the best thing ever invented to get around having to go to the mall, and I rarely have the urge to "share" something with anyone other than DH. He's been my best pal for 40 years!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:10 PM

It is so much easier to shop alone. I just go get what I need.
I do go with my niece once a month but mainly, I just like her company and we go to lunch afterward. yum
Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 PM

I used to shop with my mom, she loved shopping. Since she died I don't shop unless I need something specific. I'll go months without going to a mall and when I do I'm amazed at all the new kinds of things for sale. I really should keep more in touch.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:38 AM

Don't have a lot of female friends - some co-workers I confide in. My best friend is my "caboose" daughter. I had 3 kids in 3 years (each is 1 1/2 apart from the older one) and then 13 years later my best friend came along. She is the one that sews like crazy, goes to Shakespeare (and other theater) with me - all kinds of connections that I never had with my older children. When I first found out that I was pregnant my thoughts were not very positive - how are we going to go through it again, etc. - but she has been my shining star and I cant imagine life without her. Guess I shouldn't have second guessed God when He blessed us with her.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
Originally Posted by Barbm
I'm the same way- I have friends, but when I need to shop, off I go. You're not weird (unless i am too)
same here
Here too
Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by roda
OK I really never though about this till my sister make a smart remark to one of her freinds. I'm 50 I've never had a girlfriend as in someone I ran around with shopped with are talked ,visited with. But I dont like to chit chat cannt stand to talk on the phone for no reason. Dont get me wrong I do have friends but they are all men. I'm I really that wierd
from a fellow okie who is very much a loner, in every sense of the word, welcome. i like to shop alone, going to movies by myself is a treat. that is, when i go anywhere. i feel you show a great confidence and this is not to fault anyone who has close friends. again, welcome.