Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 AM

BASTING!!! That is what i need. I tried the Feista mug rug last weekend in anticipation of beginning the Feista BOM from Fatcat. It took me 11 hours. I decided right then and there that needle turn was a method I didn't think I could do for the whole thing. I will try another mug rug with this method. Maybe knock a few hours off. Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Hi everyone, well I finished my TRIAL block yesterday. I found I had a hard time with needleturn so went back to what I learned in the DJ quilt, that is to baste all my pieces over a paper template. It worked well and here is my block in the colours I will be using however I reiterate its a trial, I am not happy with the gold thread on the yellow think a nice colour would work better whatcha all think.

I can post how to do this, you cut out the back as Lesley did and take out the paper template at that time if you need photos I will make another block and show you all how.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Hi everyone, well I finished my TRIAL block yesterday. I found I had a hard time with needleturn so went back to what I learned in the DJ quilt, that is to baste all my pieces over a paper template. It worked well and here is my block in the colours I will be using however I reiterate its a trial, I am not happy with the gold thread on the yellow think a nice colour would work better whatcha all think.

I can post how to do this, you cut out the back as Lesley did and take out the paper template at that time if you need photos I will make another block and show you all how.
Elle, I love your colors! This will be one gorgeous quilt. And I agree, although the gold is pretty, it is not adding much to the yellow background, I think something with more contrast might pop up nicer. Hmmm...maybe I should do a yellow background.....
Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM

Ducky, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see your practice block.

Originally Posted by Ducky
Originally Posted by candi
Originally Posted by Ducky
Candi, that was wonderful. That one tiny thought turned into this. It made me try to remember what got me into it. I'll have to venture into the dusty, cobwebby recesses of my mind to recall. ***If I don't make it back, send in a search team!*** :shock: :D
Are you back Ducky :lol: :mrgreen: :?:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Whew!!!! Yes, I'm back. What a strange little place that is! :-D Actually, I bought my first machine (Kenmore) about 35 years ago with great plans of making clothes. I found that I didn't enjoy that very much, so I went on to counted cross stitch for a few years, but really wanting to use my machine for something (I love to create). My mother and I saw a one-day class being offered for making a Trip Around The World quilt top. We signed up and both fell in love with it. So 30-some years later, here I am.

I am so excited! I have been working on a practice #9 piece and it is looking pretty good. I think needle turn may become an obsession! I'll show pictures when I'm further along.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 AM

I have my quilt almost done. Our LQS did this as a BOM a few years ago. I used the black and batik but enlarged to a 12" block. It made the pieces more manageable and gave me a bed sized quilt. I needle turned but back basted first. It gave me the most accurate result. Some girls doing the original size fused it. I have my blocks together and need to add the borders. I am not using the ones in the book. Instead I am adding on a 6" black border with sharks teeth and then quilting in the hearts.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by NDQuilts
I have my quilt almost done. Our LQS did this as a BOM a few years ago. I used the black and batik but enlarged to a 12" block. It made the pieces more manageable and gave me a bed sized quilt. I needle turned but back basted first. It gave me the most accurate result. Some girls doing the original size fused it. I have my blocks together and need to add the borders. I am not using the ones in the book. Instead I am adding on a 6" black border with sharks teeth and then quilting in the hearts.
We would love to see what you've done!! I will make mine a bit larger, too, and am attempting needle turn on this.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 AM

Elle, your block is striking! I really like the gold accenting it. I almost have the first petals finished on my practice block, and, even though you can tell I am a novice, I'm loving it. There's something about the needle turn that I'm connecting with.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

ND, I would love to see your quilt too - please show us some pics. Most of us seem to be enlarging to 10in blocks, though I think one or two are intending to do the original 7in.

Elle, What about purple or a royal blue for your embroidery, if you aren't keen on the gold? Or perhaps a magenta?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:00 AM

i am doing a BOM from Along Came Quilting and they are supplying the fabric and I just have to focus on making the blocks....i have had the book for years and didn't want to try to figure out colourings so this was a great way to go. Now that you are doing it online perhaps that will motivate me to get it done with the group...and not add it to my UFO pile :roll:
Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Candi, I am planning on couching pink Razzle Dazzle thread instead of embroidery. Here is a pic of the thread and the foot I'm planning on using, too.
That is a great thread choice...i think i may "borrow" your idea :D
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 AM

KWhite.....glad you found my method helpful, its needleturn but held in place with the basting on the pieces so makes it loads easier.

Ducky I am so pleased you are getting on great with your needleturn, looking forward to seeing your blocks.

Lesley, well believe it or not I went to my LQS today and I found a super pencil to trace my pattern on the blocks with it has transfer paper and a transfer pen cost 8.50€ was a bit much but I have been having trouble doing this. You trace the pattern on to their tranfer paper, turn it over and then place your fabric under the transfer paper and redraw it. It can be washed off or you canuse a waterspray. Then my eye caught the anchor threads and I bought (Like you said) a beautiful deep purple, a chocolate brown and a blue. got home, got the pencil, but not the threads, must have pulled them out when I was shopping because I distincly remember putting them in my bag. Oh well, certainly getting tested out at the moment.

Elle