Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When I die? >

When I die?

When I die?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 AM

Sorry double post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned

if it is try the "she (or he) who dies with the most fabric....wins" Then it till take two additional plots to put my stash in.

It is a good idea to stipulate. Remind those left behind that it can be a tax write off if given to a charity group.

A local man did this when his wife died and the quilt guild got 75 boxes of fabric. We just had to give him an estimate of the amount.

It gets to be a stressful thought for use who have so much and getting up in years. I have already started.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I'll be dead, so I won't care. They can do whatever they want with it.
Well said!! Me too!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM

The Quilter's Last Will And Testament*

I,___________________________,being of sound mind (a statement which does not bear close examination) do hereby record my last will and testament.

Knowing that __________________________________, my _________________ (husband, sister, or friend) hasn’t the least understanding or appreciation for, or for that matter, knowledge of my extensive fabric collection, which collection is suitably deposited in sundry places for safekeeping.

Knowing also that ___________________________ has already notified the local dumpster to pick up and dispose of the before mentioned collection "willy-nilly" (the thought of which causes me a most severe case of hives).

Therefore, I do will this collection and all other collections related to it, to my dear friend and fellow fabric preservationist, _________________________.

It is my wish that she/he, upon hearing of my death and obtaining clear proof that I did not manage, although goodness knows I tried, to take it with me, would come to my home post haste, before the dumpster, and search out my collection which is similarly stored at her own abode.

That she should rescue said collection and stack it in my quilting studio, along with my sewing machines, frames, old buttons, lace, patterns, quilts, dolls and works in progress.

After she/he has done this, she/he should purchase refreshments for my friends not yet departed, which friends are also her/his friends, and every last one shall be in that room and they shall hold a wake and say lovely and kind things about me until they run out and then they shall divide amongst themselves, by lot, my wonderful collection.

I shall be hovering over that very spot until this is done. _______________________ shall then quit this spot and close the door, leaving trivialities to those who do not understand. This is my wish on the matter.

Signed: ____________________ Date: ___________

Notarized: __________________ Date: ___________

*This is not a legal document

Written By Elinor Peace Baily,
Published in "The Cloth Doll"
Spring/Summer 1990
Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I'll be dead, so I won't care. They can do whatever they want with it.
Amen :thumbup:
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM

I've told my kids that if they don't want any of it (which I know they won't, but maybe they'll marry girls who are into it!) then to please just don't throw it all out - find someone who DOES want it.

Sometimes I see afghans and the like at thrift stores and it makes me just a tiny bit sad because I'm sure many of those were made with about as much love as we put into our quilts, and there they sit hoping somebody will pay $2 or so for them. LOL. Still better than the garbage dump, though...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM

Now this is REALLY CUTE!
I couldnt use it... I have no stash to speak of......yet!
Originally Posted by lilithcat
The Quilter's Last Will And Testament*

I,___________________________,being of sound mind (a statement which does not bear close examination) do hereby record my last will and testament.

Knowing that __________________________________, my _________________ (husband, sister, or friend) hasn’t the least understanding or appreciation for, or for that matter, knowledge of my extensive fabric collection, which collection is suitably deposited in sundry places for safekeeping.

Knowing also that ___________________________ has already notified the local dumpster to pick up and dispose of the before mentioned collection "willy-nilly" (the thought of which causes me a most severe case of hives).

Therefore, I do will this collection and all other collections related to it, to my dear friend and fellow fabric preservationist, _________________________.

It is my wish that she/he, upon hearing of my death and obtaining clear proof that I did not manage, although goodness knows I tried, to take it with me, would come to my home post haste, before the dumpster, and search out my collection which is similarly stored at her own abode.

That she should rescue said collection and stack it in my quilting studio, along with my sewing machines, frames, old buttons, lace, patterns, quilts, dolls and works in progress.

After she/he has done this, she/he should purchase refreshments for my friends not yet departed, which friends are also her/his friends, and every last one shall be in that room and they shall hold a wake and say lovely and kind things about me until they run out and then they shall divide amongst themselves, by lot, my wonderful collection.

I shall be hovering over that very spot until this is done. _______________________ shall then quit this spot and close the door, leaving trivialities to those who do not understand. This is my wish on the matter.

Signed: ____________________ Date: ___________

Notarized: __________________ Date: ___________

*This is not a legal document

Written By Elinor Peace Baily,
Published in "The Cloth Doll"
Spring/Summer 1990
Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Asked hubby the other day if I were to die what would he do with all my fabrics and beads---he does not have any idea!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM

hahahaha.... The Quilter's Last Will and Testament is a hoot!! I've actually (jokingly) made those exact arrangements with my good quilting friends... Their instructions are to "get over here as fast as you can... with a big truck... "

too funny!!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM

It goes to my oldest daughter. She is a quilter, too. Whe we go to shows or just fabric shopping, she is right there with an opinion about what I buy. She says since she is going to get it all in the end, she may as well help pick it out! Hahaha!