Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Originally Posted by grann of 6
So you know how we fly by the seat of our pants here. Well, I finished all the pinwheels and got them all sewed together ready for sashing and border. Guess what I found out today! Her bed is a full sized not a queen. So she is getting a queen size anyway. It'll just be big. And I started on some smaller pinwheels for a QFK quilt. I'll post either later or tomorrow. I am tired. My DGS was here for the afternoon, early dismissal from school. He needed a bag to hang from his belt for some target playing game he and his friends play, not paint ball. So we got that made; of course my 25 year old snap tool broke on the 2nd snap so I had to improvise. Then we took the dogs out to play. Gus went nuts, and almost broke Heidi's leg on the leash. I am ready for a bubble bath and bed. No more pinwheels tonight.
Don't use a border or only a very small one to keep it smaller for her.
I hope you slept well. You sounded exhausted but what fun having the grandson with you.
Unfortunately, I did not sleep well. Somewhere around 11:30 Heidi decided to come in from the couch to sleep with us (Gus & me). Of course Gus was in her spot so she had to crowd me out to get between us. I finally gave up and came in on the queen size dog bed on the floor and sleep there. My hip was bothering me, which was not helped by the hard mattress on the floor. I slept fairly well till 5:30 when Gus came in with me and thought it was time to get up. We did sleep till 6:15, but I am in great pain in my hip today. Am meeting JDeery tomorrow for a day of shopping or something. Am looking forward to that. Hope my hip feels better.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 AM

Yah, I was thinking about the quilt in the night. If it wasn't so much work, I would take a row off the side and one end. Actually, I may just do that anyway and use the extras for pillowcases. I got this far, I may as well do it right. I think it will look good with a narrow sashing strip and then a border.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
So you know how we fly by the seat of our pants here. Well, I finished all the pinwheels and got them all sewed together ready for sashing and border. Guess what I found out today! Her bed is a full sized not a queen. So she is getting a queen size anyway. It'll just be big. And I started on some smaller pinwheels for a QFK quilt. I'll post either later or tomorrow. I am tired. My DGS was here for the afternoon, early dismissal from school. He needed a bag to hang from his belt for some target playing game he and his friends play, not paint ball. So we got that made; of course my 25 year old snap tool broke on the 2nd snap so I had to improvise. Then we took the dogs out to play. Gus went nuts, and almost broke Heidi's leg on the leash. I am ready for a bubble bath and bed. No more pinwheels tonight.
Don't use a border or only a very small one to keep it smaller for her.
I hope you slept well. You sounded exhausted but what fun having the grandson with you.
Unfortunately, I did not sleep well. Somewhere around 11:30 Heidi decided to come in from the couch to sleep with us (Gus & me). Of course Gus was in her spot so she had to crowd me out to get between us. I finally gave up and came in on the queen size dog bed on the floor and sleep there. My hip was bothering me, which was not helped by the hard mattress on the floor. I slept fairly well till 5:30 when Gus came in with me and thought it was time to get up. We did sleep till 6:15, but I am in great pain in my hip today. Am meeting JDeery tomorrow for a day of shopping or something. Am looking forward to that. Hope my hip feels better.
I'm sorry about that!
As much as I love my dog I will share the bed if I am reading there during the day but I will not ever give up my bed to the dog and sleep on a dog bed!
I have to draw the line somewhere!
Fortunately my dog has short legs even at 24 lbs so that he can't jump up on my high bed.
I am a tosser and turner so we sleep better apart.

Taking off a row or two of pinwheels sounds like a good plan. She can use the pillow cases like shams.

Hope you feel better and have a great day tomorrow with JDeery!
:-D
Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM

Yesterday was spent 'unsewing' as DH would say. Today is going to be a better day! :thumbup:
Old 02-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Okay, so here is what I am doing today. I took a row off side and bottom of big quilt to fit full bed instead of queen. Will work on that over the weekend. Today I started on these for Quilts for Kids. The backing will be hockey players to match the hockey clothes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-139992.jpe
Views:	84
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	139997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-139993.jpe
Views:	84
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	139998  
Old 02-17-2011, 02:49 PM

Okay, so here is what I am doing today. I took a row off side and bottom of big quilt to fit full bed instead of queen. Will work on that over the weekend. Today I started on these for Quilts for Kids. The backing will be hockey players to match the hockey clothes.
Will be some lucky little kid out there that gets this cute one! Nice color combo!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:13 PM

I was wondering what do you quilting ladies use for the batting on your quilts. I am the one doing a baby quilt and I don't want it to be heavy. I know some use warm and natural and some use poly. Which would be the best and the lightest. I even have read that some use flannel. Help!!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by mombeth07
I was wondering what do you quilting ladies use for the batting on your quilts. I am the one doing a baby quilt and I don't want it to be heavy. I know some use warm and natural and some use poly. Which would be the best and the lightest. I even have read that some use flannel. Help!!
Don't like poly. Too hard to get it to lay nice and flat while working with it. I like a cotton, either warm and natural or other cotton. I have used organic cotton for fussy mothers; quilts nicely.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
Will be some lucky little kid out there that gets this cute one! Nice color combo!
Thanks. They had a request on their website for fabrics for teenage boys. I also got one with 4-wheelers on it. Will do that next.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Here are 3 that I have made so far. I'm sewing around 2- 5" blocks and cut diagonally from corner to corner. I found a way in youtube to sew the blocks together I find it easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O18wx...eature=related
This is the way that Eleanor Burns from Quilt In A Day teaches you to make the pinwheels.