Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not Gonna Finish It >

Not Gonna Finish It

Not Gonna Finish It

Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
OK, I decided to make a baby quilt for one of my best friend's grandbaby. Born in August. Got the top done (love it) and made the sandwich, but I just cannot get the quilting. I have ripped it out more than six times. I HATE QUILTING!!!!! I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT! I swear I would rather re-marry my ex than every quilt anything again! (And that is SO not going to happen) So, I am not going to finish it. I may take it up to my LQS and see if I can pay someone there to do it. It's just a baby quilt, so it's way too small to send to my LAQ'r. Otherwise, I'm gonna sew a big X from corner to corner and use it for a dog bed, or a bath mat or a cleaning rag. Note to self: NO MORE SMALL QUILTS!!
Maybe you can find a quilting buddy and exchange services.

A friend had some old quilts she did the finishing on and had someone else do the quilting in exchange for _____.

ali
Old 02-17-2011, 02:25 PM

send it to Charisma........she does a great job......very prompt in getting it back too.....she is on this site. Very reasonable
Old 02-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Small quilts are much easier to quilt than large quilts. Try machine stitching a large stipple, or stitch in the ditch. Just get it done. YOU CAN do it.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
How about tying it with yarn, like they did in the old days. I have done a few of my baby quilts like that, and people really thought it was cute.
You can match the yarn to the colors in your quilt. And it will save you some money.
I just finished a baby quilt and I tied it. It's so cute. I am not bragging. It is just cute! I got a variegated yarn and when you wash the quilt for the first time, the yarn frays and poofs right up. That's what makes it cute. I ran it through with double yarn and it worked just fine.

It'll turn out. Just don't give up! Edie
Old 02-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewdarnbusy
Small quilts are much easier to quilt than large quilts. Try machine stitching a large stipple, or stitch in the ditch. Just get it done. YOU CAN do it.
You guys are all missing the point, which is I know I can, I've done it before but I DON'T WANT TO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And sorry, folks, but I really don't like tied quilts personally. :oops:
Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by sewdarnbusy
You guys are all missing the point, which is I know I can, I've done it before but I DON'T WANT TO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And sorry, folks, but I really don't like tied quilts personally. :oops:
Lawds, I hear ya - I HATE to applique! I just won't do it anymore. I have a baby quilt in the works myself, and a friend of mine has been drafted to applique the stupid bears on it. I'm getting hot flashes just thinking about it.

Don't quilt anymore. Life is too short.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:37 PM

mAYBE YOU COULD PICK A FEW SQUARES AND OUTLINE THEM. i AM MAKING A LAP QUILT,THE HOUR GLASS PATTERN, AND AM OUTLINING THE HOUR GLASS PART.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:49 PM

How about instead of tying it you just made tacks (usually under your buttonhole menu). You could even do them in a pattern but spaced like if you were tying it.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 PM

I had a similar experience with a baby quilt. I took out my stitches, and found some nice pearlized cotton threat, and tied cute little tufts. The new parents were pleased, and I didn't tell them that I had to resort to a different plan. The baby didn't care either.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Have tried to quilt can maybe almost do a quilt in the ditch but really don't like it. So rather than the frustration I take my quilts to a quilter. They just know what to do when they look at the quilt - so artistic and they know to make your quilt turn into an even more beautiful quilt.