Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts" >

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Suz

Don't recall where I read or saw this, but whomever said to use the unsweetened Koolaid for dye. Haven't tried it myself. Has any heard of or tried this?

I have only one wool applique books and it showed using a good quality flannel for the base of a table cloth.

I too am interested in doing a project together. I need a lot of help.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about. When we stayed at my great grandma's house she put us in a feather bed and put that heavy wool quilt on us and you couldn't move!! If you had to get up to go potty in the pot in the room forget about it, you couldn't get out without help!! But I do remember how I loved staying at her house when it rained...she had a tin roof and I fell asleep to that sound. Just like drinking out of the well with the cool water and that big ole dipper spoon. Thanks for the reminiscing. Pam
Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM

wow your work is beautiful
Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM

I have wanted to work with wool but I have been concerned with doing all that work and then those "bad bugs" eating part of the wool. Is that a thing of the past or does it still happen?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 PM

I would love to do a quilt with wool. I have recently started making felted bags first from re-cycled wool sweaters then actually knitting the bags with 100% wool and felting them. I have done needle felting with wool roving also. I love working with the wool fabrics. My LQS has a large selection of wool kits. I just bought one but have been afraid to start.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 PM

It's in Newport, New Hampshire. I live in Putney, Vermont. They have a website: www.dorrmillstore.com
I didn't see the remnants on it though, I guess you have to go there for that. Next time I go, I'll take note of what they have and what the prices are like.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM

I live in Louisiana, so we don't have but 6 or so weeks of weather to need wool garments. But people from outside the tropic zone must move here because I can find interesting wools at Goodwill, or, now on the internet. As long as it is not a "worsted" wool, you can felt it by washing the garment in hot water, soap and placing it in a hot dryer. The felted wool does not fray and can be stitched together very easily. You can also knit an item, felt it, and then have a lovely garment/accessory to use. Felted wool is very durable, can be washed, and "breathes" for comfort. Historically, felted wool is what knights of old wore under their metal armor to protect their skin from chaffing/prevent penetration of weapons and provide warmth. Good stuff - please include me if a group gets together.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM

Lucious! New to me, thx for sharing.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 PM

Sue Spargo came to the Des Moines Area Quilters Guild in January and gave a presentation on her journey with quilts and wool. The show and tell that she brought with her....Incredible!!!! She also had a couple classes that I was unable to attend. Darn!!!!
I have played around with dying my own wools and also designing some wool patterns. I love primitive...so I would be interested in working on a project together as a group...as long as it can be adapted to my style. Sounds like fun.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM

I like the idea of flannel backgrounds with the wools. I think a simple project to get started would be a really good idea. Primitive Pieces by Lynda has some really good designs using this style. Her table runner might be a fun project to tackle. But I'm game for anything.

primitivepiecesbylynda.blogspot.com