Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What were you called when you were little, and by whom? >

What were you called when you were little, and by whom?

What were you called when you were little, and by whom?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Given name- Barbara. reserved for my Mother, usually after the list of 5 other sisters' names are used with no response from me.

When I was young- Binky (I have no clue why) or Barbi (like Barbi Benton). About 15 I insisted no more Barbi, it was Barb.

My brother, who passed away 5 years ago at age 39, was the only one who could say Barbi and get away with it. I think it was the devilish smile and twinkle in his eye that said, go ahead, hit me, I'm still going to call you that. :)I used to tell him he was my favorite baby brother- of course, he was the only baby brother.

Hubby calls me Barb- he knows I can't stand that sappy crap of Babe or Honey. The kids call me Mom or Mommie-o. The grands call me Grammie Barb.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Laurabelle by my Grandfather

Laurie by close relatives

Pumpkin (birthday is on Halloween) by lots of people

Some rather naughty names as I got older as my maiden name was Head
Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 AM

My mother named me Elizabeth Jane so I would have the same intiles as her but she called me Suzy. I didnt even know I had a another name untill kindergarten when the teacher call roll and I didnt answer. Then the school would not let me Suzy because there were 3 Susan and 2 Suzans. I only use my legal name for legal stuff. My driving lic is signed Suzy.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 AM

I guess I can say this....my mom called me a turdknocker (that's what her dad called her) and my dad called me his "little jewel"....go figure.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 PM

My name is Bonnie, my dad and most of his family called me Bon Bon. My middle name is Jean and my mother called me Jeannie, her mother called me BJ and her father called me BJ or Jonny Bean. One sister calls me Bon.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:02 PM

my mom and dad's friend called me half pint because I was so short. It kind of stuck and others called me that. When I got to Jr. High, the kids called me Robbin hood because my name was Robinson
Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I was called Sissie because I was the only girl among five brothers. Mom and my youngest brother still call me that. My Dad did until he passed away at age 84. My favorite nicknmae is one my mother gave me when I was in my young teens and helping her to clean house. It was Tillie. There was an old radio show she used to listen to and there was a character called "Tillie the Toiler." I guess I like it because it represents something that gave her pleasure when she listened to the radio show.
It was even before my time (I'm 81) but "Tillie the Toiler"
was a cartoon character in the newspapers.
Once in a while, my mom, who was born in 1909, called
herself that....
Look it up on google...
Our weekly newspaper features the "Katzenjammer Kids" cartoon now, which once was published about the same time...

My dutch cousins in Holland call me "Yane" , which they
earnestly explained as this : Jean = Jane and J is pronounced "Y". I like it - nobody else is very likely to have that name...Jeannie
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM

my name is nora when i was born my aunt lois told my parents that i was no bigger than a dot so dottie ,, my grandfather sherman said i was no bigger than a lady bug so bug they have called me lady bug, dottie bug,&doodle bug and grade school other kids called me jolly-green giant . i was the tallest child in my class 5ft 6in in the 4th grade , funny i am only 5ft 8in now woosh what memories
Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 PM

My given name is Joanne, but when I was little, my Gramma Mae used to call me Jan...sort of slid over the 'O'. That stuck for quite awhile, then a cousin started calling me 'Queenie'...why, I don't know, but if he ever thinks of it, he's the only person allowed to still do so..:). As years passed, my siblings began calling me Jo, and many use that shortened version now. I do have one favorite nickname, though, thanks to a (late) consumer where I work. She couldn't pronounce Joanne, but 'Jojo' came out plain as day and it stuck! Memories!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 PM

My dad called me Chrissy from the get-go. I HATE that nickname. I have only ever had one other person call me that but it didn't bother me. My brothers used to call me Pi**y Chrissy until my mom made them stop. When I lived with my grandparents, Grammy would call me Joanne (my mom's name) and I would answer; otherwise she'd run through a whole lotta names before she got to mine. I have always gone by Chris but I do tell everyone that if you must use my formal, given name it is Christina with an "a" on the end and not an "e". Ex-FIL called me Christy. I receive a lot of mail addressed to Mr Chris Smith which ususally makes me laugh.