Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help?  cheap thread?? >

help? cheap thread??

help? cheap thread??

Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
...I'Ve been filling bobbins with serger thread lately and using them on top and botttom....
I've always wondered if using serger thread would work.
Serger thread has always looked quite a bit thinner to me, so I wasn't sure about it.
However, it's usually a lot less expensive than "regular" thread.
I just might have to give that a try! :)
Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by incoming2me
Originally Posted by clem55
...I'Ve been filling bobbins with serger thread lately and using them on top and botttom....
I've always wondered if using serger thread would work.
Serger thread has always looked quite a bit thinner to me, so I wasn't sure about it.
However, it's usually a lot less expensive than "regular" thread.
I just might have to give that a try! :)
I do use a good amount of Serger thread for piecing and have never had any issues with the strenght , I have noticed a bit more lint . Not sure why as it is 100 percent poly. The cone serger thread at JoAnn's is made by Gutterman.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 AM

to clem55
Don't bother with the plastic cone thread stand from JoAnns for $7.95. Too light weight and won't stay put. Get a metal one from a good quilt shop. Serger thread is fine for a lot of sewing tasks. I use it for embroidery machine bobbins all the time. I have even forgotten the change bobbins and sewn slacks with it..they havent fallen apart yet .
Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I think spun poly thread is the linty poly but continuous filament poly thread is not. Peacebypiece is right, the plastic cone holder is not worth buying unless you glue it to the table. A heavy pottery jar is prettier anyway.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

i use lots of serger thread too - i've never had a problem with it. i did have some expensive cotton thread that was old and breaking alot...i donated it to the local boy scout troop...they had all kinds of uses for that thread (and a whole tote of empty spools) so now when i get some that for my use is (garbage) i give it to them...what they do with it works fine...and no, i don't know what they do with it...but the scout master said he would take any and all i wanted to get rid of anytime :)i don;t actually throw hardly anything away...seems like every thing in my sewing room is useful to someone else when i no longer have a use for it... the senior center, the elementary school art department, the pre-school, scouts, 4-H'ers, and many many more are more than happy to receive any of our no-longer-useful items...and they put them to good use! even when i thought it was just garbage not good for anything...i was wrong, they are creative!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Originally Posted by Deborah12687
I buy my thread by the big cones at my favorite discount fabric store. They are a lot cheaper then going to Joanne's or Handcock fabrics. I save small spools and refill them from the bigger cones.
I am so interested in how you do this!
It is something I made myself and going to submit it to a manufactor and it shouldn't cost much for it when it hits the market.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 PM

I would like to know how as well!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
i don't skimp on quality thread, figure if i'm going to spend all that money on quality fabrics they should be sewn together with quality thread.
I agree with this as well. I put a lot of time and effort in to my quilts to have them fall apart because of poor quality thread.[/quote]

I so agree Deb.....I use King Tut and do cringe at what I pay but love, love, love that thread.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:27 AM

Man $1.00 a spool is a bargain. I was using coats and clark cotton thread but my machine did not get along with it. I have changed to mettler and All is going well with it. I may pay more for a spool but 3 coats and clark cotton spools would cost the same as 1 mettler and the two would equal about the same on yardage. My LQS carries mettler and had decided that I needed to try different thread.

Heidi
Old 02-19-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by SewsonSaturday
i need to buy some more thread but hate having to buy it when its almost a dollar a spool... theres not much too it what on earth could make just plain old thread cost so much?? i just do not understand....does any one know were to buy really cheap thread??
$1.00 a spool - JoAnn's cheap thread is $2.79 a spool! Didn't buy any. Edie