Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18... >

Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 AM

boys take longer than girls...my opinion
Old 02-19-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
One day they will come and tell that you are not as dumb as they thought. It will dawn on children one day that they have become their parents. When either time happens you sit back and laugh and say 'I told you so".
This is so true. My DH still has a Father's day card my youngest sent him that thanked him for all he did for him and said that he now saw that the advice he gave to him was true and that he really was thankful for such a great Dad. This coming from a son that is usually not much for talking. He does write beautiful touching notes in all of the cards he sends.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:19 AM

When my oldest of 3 turned 18, I then had 3 teenage daughters. It was probably the hardest parenting year we ever had. I had always and still say," when they turned 13, the aliens took over. They returned to human form somewhere between 21 and 24. They are now 31, 28, and 26. The 2 oldest are married with 2 kids each and the 3rd is 15 months from her PharmD. degree. We all survived and are great friends. Hang in there and wear out your praying knees.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:33 AM

LOL they don't get their brains back until they are 30. Sit back and wait mom. It does happen to some a little sooner. But when it does it is AMAZING.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:48 AM

Yes, I had 8 that turnd 18. My hubby and I have a blended family that was raised as one so there are 8 children between the now ages of 45 and 35. We had 6 teens in the house at once and I often said I understood why some animals eat their young. lol We still have one that is 38 that still has some mturing to do but for the most part they are okay. They know we love them unconditionally and they know they can talk to us about anything without judgement even though they know where we morally and spiratually stand ourselves. My family is not perfect but, they are mine and i will keep them.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 AM

My grandson just turned 19, and it's a little better this year. But when he turned 18 he announced he was an adult, just the actions didn't reflect the announcement. My daughter kept re-enforcing to him that his actions are not those of an adult, and are these the actions of an adult. Their brains just haven't met up with their bodies yet! Good luck and hang in there. They grow up in spite of you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-115946.png
Views:	114
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	115951  
Old 02-19-2011, 06:59 AM

not until they get out into the world and pay their own way! They are surprised how smart you are then haha
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 AM

Son one it took the Marine corps,and a few tours in Iraq, whew he bout killed me from age 16 to 19 when he left for boot camp. Son number two never did go through any additude problems with me, he is 22 today .I think he seen what son one did to me and knew better,lol
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 AM

I have a 17 year old girl that just allowed her friend to cut her hair!!!! She looks a mess, is telling me it is the shaggy look. I told her I believer her because it is definitely shaggy! What to do but take a pic and show it at her wedding! Can't wait till she has a daughter of her own and she does the same thing. Actually I better be waiting a long time.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Did you find that as soon as they turned 18, and "became an adult", that their attitude soured?

How long does it take for them to get over themselves?

as soon as you tell them, the rules are still the same in your house..
and they decide to go out into the big world and rent a place of thier own..

Maybe now that they are an "Adult" you should suggest splitting the living expenses with them..ROFL!