Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make money with your passion? >

Can you really make money with your passion?

Can you really make money with your passion?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 AM

I did make money quilting for several years on an old long arm but now I find I so tired of doing everyone elses and I have quit taking in quilts.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:08 AM

I am just grateful and thankful I can quilt for my family, friends and whomever else I want...enjoying each step as I go along without any committments.[/quote]

I so agree with you.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by jumpin' judy
What about selling online? Not necessarily full size quilts but small things like table runners, wall hangings, children's items, Christmas ornaments, etc. I have been looking at ecrater.com. Anybody selling there? Etsy has gotten so large and Ebay has apparently become difficult to work with. Love to hear some success stories.
Thanks for the new (to me) site!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Originally Posted by Mary L Booth
I sell now and than. I couldn't make a living but I love when I sell a quilt and since I am retired it give me money for more fabric. I am working on one now and a lady I sew with it going to buy it when it is finished. It is a scrappy log.
Lovely quilt!
Ditto! I like the use of embroidery on your quilt.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 AM

Both my husband and I quilt and we wanted the opportunity of finishing our tops ourselves so have just invested in a LA and have started a small business. We are not interested (and frankly no where near experienced enough) to quilt others quilts but are offering lessons in the basic use of the machine and then clients can rent 'time' on the machine to finish their projects, with us around to offer any help or advise. This will not be a huge income for us but will keep the machine in use while we make up our projects and will give us a little income to put towards the cost of the machine. One other HUGE bonus is we are making friends as we go!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:33 AM

I am definitely not knowledgeable enough yet, but I hope to be some day. I am still not sure I would sell though. I really do this for fun. I mean if a family member or something wanted to "buy" one im sure I would, but just to the general public... im not sure. I make mine for gifts and mostly for myself. They help me relax and escape reality for awhile :)
Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Be careful when you take a much loved hobby , and turn it into a For Profit Business.
It much different when you choose to do something and when you HAVE to do something.
I agree.
I did that with sewing for people & friends, alot of them wouldn't take in considerstion I also had other personal thing to do or would just show up & need it like NOW. It has ended , except for a few good friends.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:15 AM

I was passionate about volunteering in social service agencies. Then I got this wild idea about getting my master's degree and getting paid for it. Did that. Guess what? It wasn't nearly as much fun when I started getting paid for it. Glad to be retired now. I hope I never get paid to quilt.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 AM

Well, for years, I have worked with stained & fused glass. Although I sold lots of stuff, I could not make a living from it. Just kept me in supplies, and I enjoyed it. I recently decided to set glass aside for a while and try my hand at quilting. Don't expect any money from this hobby either.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Many years ago, I took a hobby I loved and turned it into a business. Did quite well at it, but ended up hating it. A "love to do" became a "have to do". Since then, I've kept work and the "love to do's" separate.