Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enjoying my new quilt studio! >

Enjoying my new quilt studio!

Enjoying my new quilt studio!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Very nice room-lots of natural light!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sarah CA
I'm trying to convince DH to move my sewing room to the living room because it is such a large room with lots of natural light. He says it's the first thing people see when they come over as it is right by the front door. My answer is anyone that comes over is a friend and they wouldn't care. And...who cares what other people think about how I arrange my house. Any thoughts out there on this?
This was my thought too. I figured we aren't planning to sell our house anytime soon, and it is OUR house which should reflect the owners - and as a quilter that room definitely does now, LOL We have people over all the time, and I think as long as I keep it fairly neat as I do our other rooms, why shouldn't I put the square footage to good use, vs. completely unused/unlived in space as it was before? Don't get me wrong, I really liked my living room furniture and it was a pretty room. But we literally never used it, our friends and family wouldn't have dreamed of sitting in there vs. our more comfy family room or finished basement...or even the kitchen where people inevitably end up, you know?

I have also had several friends drop by recently to meet our new baby and ALL of them have exclaimed over how nice the quilt room is and how it's definitely "me" and therefore perfect for our home. since it's in the front of our house, as soon as you have passed the entry, you have done just that - passed the room and really, when you go over to someone else's home, how much do you dwell on the rooms you've passed by vs. the room you actually spend time in? But once again, I keep coming back to the thought that this is OUR home, therefore ours to do what we want vs. worry about what anyone else thinks we "should" do with each room.

OK, stepping off my soapbox now, hah!! I say go for it! :thumbup:
Old 02-19-2011, 03:31 PM

very nice...and neat...
Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by CraftyGardenMom
Thought I'd share some pics from my new quilt studio - which used to be our formal living room. I sold the furniture via Craiglist and used the $$ to buy the IKEA Expedit bookcase and saving the rest for when I find the "right" sewing table.

One thing I've learned in this process is how dang much fabric I have! I've purged a lot and am really happy to have gone through each and every piece of it so I really have a sense of what I have, might need for upcoming projects. I can now make good choices when I start a new project vs. randomly going out and buying fabric that I already had buried in my stash. Now I know what I've got and can put it to good use!
I

I love it, told my hubby and he laughed!! Don't think he understands that I MEAN it!!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:36 PM

Very nice ... looks wonderful
Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Jealous, I love it, you did a great job.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by CraftyGardenMom
Thought I'd share some pics from my new quilt studio - which used to be our formal living room. I sold the furniture via Craiglist and used the $$ to buy the IKEA Expedit bookcase and saving the rest for when I find the "right" sewing table.

One thing I've learned in this process is how dang much fabric I have! I've purged a lot and am really happy to have gone through each and every piece of it so I really have a sense of what I have, might need for upcoming projects. I can now make good choices when I start a new project vs. randomly going out and buying fabric that I already had buried in my stash. Now I know what I've got and can put it to good use!
What a great idea with that space! How many of us have a formal dining room that's used on those rare occassions. I bet we'll see a lot of dining room furniture on Craiglist list now. :thumbup:
Old 02-19-2011, 04:57 PM

GORGEOUAS

the table is from either JoAnns or Hancocks, mine is if not hers, it drops like that and I use it well. worth it to get it on sale though.

i especially envy your blocked storage over there, can you tell me more about that?
Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Love it ~
Old 02-19-2011, 05:14 PM

Lovely!! I hope you enjoy many productful days in there.