We Are Awesome!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:38 PM

hello ditter sorry that u r hurting ,,i feel for u ,,,i can relate to ur messages,,, i have osteoarthritis in my hands n back n i know how u feel,,but we dont give up we keep going ,,thanks barbara
Old 02-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by pkary
Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Blue Cheese dressing??? What is wrong with BLUE CHEESE dressing?? We are having so many health problems because what we eat too many preservatives and genetically altered foods. More kids are ADHD and autistic. It is the environment.
No, I think we are having too many health problems because kids can't just go outside anymore, an adult with them is really very necessary. And, we try to keep our houses so sanitized kids do not develop any resistance to anything! As kids we, of the early baby boomers, ran wild all summer. We left the house about 8 am and no adult really knew where we were until the gong rang about 5 to get home for supper. The "big" kids - those 8 or so and up, watched out for the little kids - those as young as 2 and no one was allowed to stay in the house all day. And, heaven help any kid who thought they would try to bully a kid in "our gang!"

Times have certainly changed for sure. However, I think, in our quest to keep our kids safe, we have allowed too much freedom to be taken away from them. Mothers, or Dads, are not at home afterschool, toys are too educational to be much fun, and we've let family dinnertime slip away. There really is no such thing as "quality time" that can make up for "just chillin" time - one on one, with your kids. It really is the time you spend with your kids, not what you do together, that counts in the end.
I couldn't go out until 9:00 in the summer and had to be home at noon and again at 5:00 for meals. The Catholic Church in our town rang the bells at noon and again at 5:00. I could peddle my bike from anywhere in town and be in my house before the bells stopped.....or I was grounded and not allowed to go out the next day....a fate worse than death.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM

Not only did our homes have small rooms, but as kids we shared bedrooms AND five people in the house and all shared just ONE bathroom! How did we ever make it???
Old 02-19-2011, 06:11 PM

Isn't that the truth - don't know how I survived.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 PM

Love it - brings back memories!! Recently asked a high school volunteer at work to type envelopes for me on the electric typewriter - she looked at it and asked me what it was!!! Then I had to show her how to use it and she asked me where the delete button was!!!! Too funny!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 PM

Amen! Also, the girls only had dresses. We played in dresses and then went home got washed up and a clean dress for dinner. I wore hand me down clothes. Some fit some didn't. The nuns refused to let me finish my catecism classes for First Communion because my dresses were too short. (They were all I had.) I was a cheerleader in high school (Catholic High School). We had to walk to most of our games some were over 6 miles away. If the family had a car they only had one. Sometimes someone picked us up sometimes not. In high school when we started wearing blue jeans we had to buy boys jeans. They didn't make jeans for girls. I wore a uniform to school. One year the senior girls ripped and tore their uniforms on the last day they had to wear them. (We stopped at beginning of May as they were wool and hot.) When the nuns found out about the torn uniforms they made the girls pin them, sew them whatever they could do and made them wear them till graduation in June. That was the last time any girls did that!
We went roller skating at roller rinks with four wheels on each skate. We went ice skating on the frozen lakes and ponds. We had an "ice" box for a refrigerator and once a week the "ice man" came and delivered a block of ice that went into the top of the "ice box" to keep our food cool. Our washing machine was a wringer type with two big metal basins to rinse clothes in. We hung our clothes on lines to dry. My mother washed clothes on Monday (all day), sprinkled the clothes and rolled them up for a few hours and iron EVERYTHING including our underwear and sheets. Oh, yeah!!! Those were the days my friend.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by DeniseB
What memories. You are so right, we are awesome.
I JUST WANT TO SAT I LOVE THE PURSE YOU USE FOR YPUR AVATAR
Old 02-19-2011, 08:50 PM

Those are wonderful memories. I remember my Momma making us get our own switch from a tree and we would not have dared to call the police on her. LOL
Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM

I was born in the early 80's (GASP! Did I really just say that out loud!?!?) and I can say, I was fortunate enough to have an old fashioned Dad who abided by these guidelines. I pray that I can raise my girls half as well.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 PM

The best of times, our kids will never know. And we did survive.