Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make money with your passion? >

Can you really make money with your passion?

Can you really make money with your passion?

Old 02-19-2011, 05:46 PM

I learned many years ago that it is very difficult to sell a handmade product and make a profit.

Selling a service however, is a different story. If you can find a way to use your quilting expertise and sell a service, you can probably make some money.

I taught ballroom dancing for over 20 years and enjoyed every day of it. I had a day job working in the home dec section of House of Fabrics. When I retired, using the knowledge I gained, I've built a website on home decorating and am now making a good monthly income.

I have friends who have built websites about quilting, sewing, embroidery and drawing and are doing well with them.
You don't have to be a computer genius these days to build a website.

It's a matter of finding out what service people want and what they are willing to pay for. Many people do well running classes in local craft shops or even their own homes. Jewelry making, scrapbooking, both physical and digital, and felting are the big draws in our area right now.

Selling a service is much more fun (not that there aren't some bad days) and not nearly as stressful as producing a product.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:11 PM

This is a very interesting thread. I've thought about sewing for extra income. Even sold couple quilts but as doing it full time I'm not sure I could. Especially in my part of the country where there isn't any work, most are unemployed and having a hard time with the economy. I am retired and SS $$ sure isn't that much. I really feel sad for young folks starting out and with little ones. You would really have to have energy and talent to make a go of it in sewing in any form.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Not me, I'm retired and don't want the pressure of doing anything for the public. I was a systems analyst but made cards, invitations and favors on the side. It was fun, but to WANTING make something vs. HAVING to make something is what makes a hobby enjoyable!
This is my sentiment exactly. My daughters often tell me I should make quilts for people to bring in some cash. I keep telling them I quilt because I love to do it. I don't want to HAVE to. If one day I just don't feel like even entering my sewing room then I have that option. That wouldn't be the case if I did it for a living.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Not me...
DH keeps saying that I should sell my quilts...but then it would stop being a hobby and I'd have to work for "perfection" and that would take all the fun out of it. :lol:
Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 PM

I have made and sold things in the past. What I haven't done though is sell something specifically made for a person. I make something because I like it at the time. Then, when it's finished, if it no longer appeals to me, I'm willing to sell it.

I've sold a few quilts, mostly baby quilts, and they were very painful to let go. Table runners, toppers and other things, not so much.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 PM

For me it is a hobby, something to give me pleasure and I would never consider making a business out of it. To me, it would suck all the pleasure out of quilting.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:44 PM

I am lucky that I have a friend who has 22 grandchildren. There are always birthdays and holidays that come up in which she usually want something handmade (I knit and crochet for her as well as quilt) I have fun doing it, it's not a lot of pressure, I'm never in any hurry and I can make a little extra money.

KarenCG
Old 02-20-2011, 12:19 AM

I once thought I would like to have a fab. shop of my own and still get in my sewing time, long before I started quilting, but it was always just a thought. But since retiring and now quilting as much as I do I don't think I would really enjoy that, and definitely not quilting for profit. I have enough trouble with the pressures of getting the quilts done that I do for family and friends, and would not want that pressure from the public. I have had a lot ask me about making them a quilt, but most do not have an idea of the time and expense that really goes into quilts, and in my area would not want to pay what I think I would need to get. So I will just continue to keep this as my loved hobby and let others do the for profit bit.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 AM

Don't want to, would take the joy out of it for me.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 AM

I guess you could make a living at quilting if you get a good customer base and devote 10-12hrs a day quilting. I am a RN and there is no way I could make the money I make being a nurse compared to sewing for others. I did buy a LA and love it. I call it my boat in the basement. I know I would not enjoy it if I didn't have time to do my own work. Sewing for the general public is hard because they compare the quilts we make to the ones they can buy in a store. We know there is NO comparison. The quality of the fabric, the hours invested, the cost of thread...I could not work for pennies an hr. I love being able to go downstairs and work on fabric that I like and practicing on my LA for fun. I love working a few days a week and having lots of time to quilt for myself. My recommendation to younger people is to get a good education first. Then you can quilt all you want on your terms! Just MHO!