Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you Proceed on a new quilt?  What's your M.O.? >

How do you Proceed on a new quilt? What's your M.O.?

How do you Proceed on a new quilt? What's your M.O.?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 AM

I buy from people/stores with excellent feedback and ratings.

I've only had 1 issue where I bought something and had to pursue the guy for my books. When they came, they weren't what was advertised. By then, I wanted to be rid of him. Did get some that I love so it was worth the hassle.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM

I have a small stash so far.
Just added $39 to it today.
Mostly I use a pattern. I have to many problems if I dont. Like not enough fabric and cant match it at any fabric shop in town.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 AM

39.00 is a pretty good add to the stash! hehe

I'm a pattern person too, I'm not creative enough to just start a quilt...unless it's a crazy quilt using all of my scraps I've done 3 or 4 of those, I usually put heavy blankets in the middle and just tie those. Oddly enough those are the families favorite quilts, there's usually an argument over those........hummmmmm
8) 8) 8)
Old 01-15-2009, 06:30 AM

It's interesting to read how other proceed. Much like Sandpat I don't often "stick to a pattern". Sometimes I pick a block, and sometimes I pick my focus fabric first. That's the way it turned out with the Spring Sampler I'm working on now. First I picked my focus fabric and then I went through my tiny stash and picked all the fabrics (mostly blenders and batiks) that matched the focus fabric. Now when ever I want to sew I pick a block and pick the fabrics from the pile.

Well... Now that I'm thinking about it, normally what happens with a pattern is that I see a pattern that inspires me, and then I draft my own version of it, sometimes very much the same and most often very different and go from there.

Since we all think differently it's like you said there is no right way. I think it's good, because what would we do with 1000's of matching quilts. Oh wait isn't that a department store? :shock:
Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 AM

LOL I love that.....I wanted to know because this is something I do all on my own with very little input other than an occasional grunt from DH! A full sentence would startle me! hehe

SO it's nice to know what others do and how others work! Kind of keeps me on a level playing field in my own mind or would that be a field of dreams in my own mind?????????// :oops:
Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM

Hi, I have been doing this so long that I have changed my MO a dozen times. I currently have a queen size quilt I am handquilting. I have also been making a number of Linus quilts on the machine. My stash is enormous but I always have room for more. A friend of mine is the chairperson for our county's Linus project. She told me they need more quilts for boys. That gave me an excuse to shop for more male oriented fabrics. Just yesterday I hit our local Joanns and came home with 5 peices of fabric suitable for the male persuasion. I like to use flannel on the backs so I found some good bargins in that department also.
I will admit I tend to purchase patterns I like but rarely get around to using them. I local pattern maker Zebra Patterns has some really great little projects. We had her as a speaker for both of my guilds and she gave us a great price on her patterns. I think I purchased 7. The only one I have used is a pattern for a chairback cover that has a birthday cake. Her pattern calls for a pink ruffle around the edge. Since I was making it for a grand nephew I made the color scheme more primary rather than on the pink side and eliminated the ruffle. It turned out really nice. The applique on it was fused and satin stitched. I had forgotten how much work that took. I was very pleased with the result.
I have some other patterns that I am getting up enough energy to execute. In the meantime they look nice hanging around my sewing area.
One of the things I like most about the Zebra Patterns is that each piece to be appliqued is drawn seperately and to scale. I have purchased patterns in the past that had lovely designs but were merely a line drawing inside that I would have to break down into seperate pieces. I am not willing to go to that much trouble.
In general I let a fabric dictate what the design will be. Simple four or nine patch designs showcasing a print or graphic makes a stunning quilt with a few contrasting borders. I have all of the fabrics to make one of Mimi Dietrich's faux Baltimore Alblum quilts. One of these days I will settle down and do it. I sometimes use my embroidery machine to make simple blocks like square in a square featuring the embroidery. The quilt currently on my bed is one I made like that.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:55 PM

My MO changes from one project to the next!! If it is a wallhanging, then I usually have/buy a pattern and pick fabrics from my stash to make it. Once I get to the borders, I am off to the store with my top, looking for something to finish it off.

If I am making a throw or bed size quilt it is usually because I have found a line of fabric that I like. So, I buy a couple of jelly rolls, a fat quarter stack or layer cakes, some fabric for borders, etc. THEN, I go home and look through my patterns, books and magazines for inspiration. Usually I get an idea then I am graphing on graph paper to make it the size, shape, etc that will work with the fabrics I already purchased (is that bass-ackwards or what?!?!?)

I do not think I have ever purchased a pattern, found "just the right fabrics" for it and then took it home and made it by the pattern!! That would be too "normal" for me!!!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I generally will either design one in EQ5 or see a fabric and let it speak to me.