Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nick names, a Southern thing >

Nick names, a Southern thing

Nick names, a Southern thing

Old 02-19-2011, 12:00 AM

I had a friend who had a little girl about 3 yrs old, they called her Raggedy Ann. One day I asked if that was her real name. She said no, her realy name was Kelly but she looked like Raggedy Ann when she was born and it stuck.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:39 AM

I also have an Uncle Bubba. We had a fun night with church folks one time and three sisters did a skit they called "You may be married to a redneck if..." The skit ended with "You may be married to a redneck if any part of your wedding ceremony included 'I take thee, Bubba'". Since that really is what her husband is called it brought the house down.

My Uncle Jack has a son who is also called Jack. So he is still "Baby Jack" if I'm not careful - he's in his 50's.

My grandson's name is Micah. I don't see how that's a girl name but a friend of my DD is also Micah so they call her Pretty Micah - sounds nicer than Big Micah.

Another grandson's name is Draven. In a very weird situation my son - the boy's dad - had no say in the naming of his child so he calls him DJ. Lots of people around here go by initials.

I'm a teacher and have taught Skeeter, Scooter, Scoot, and my all time favorite Boomer. I tried calling that boy by his given name, but Boomer fit him much better!

My husband's family didn't need nicknames - their real names were strange enough - his grandmother Cozy, Uncle Napoleon (Uncle NB), Aunt Venoy.

We tend to use lots of Honeys, Sweeties, Precious, and Babys around here, too. Covers up when you can't remember someone's real name! My MIL who is from Okalhoma couldn't believe when I'd call my kids "Baby" - when they weren't babies anymore. Her Texas-borm mother called her that and she always thought it was an insult - that she was acting like a baby - since she never heard any of her friends being called by that name.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:00 AM

My real name is Ellen, but everyone just calls me Nelle (Ellen backwards)...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 AM

My second oldest brother called our grandpa Spanky for years we didn't know why it came out he was really saying He spanked me. My oldest brother was called Swede for his very blond hair. Uncle Sonny (Everert). My dad called every guy Bud. I'm a Northern girl!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:13 PM

my father always called me chicken or pumpkin. the kids called him hoib (couldn't say Herb). my brother mike was mickey and my sister maxine was maxie the taxie. my aunt was crazy aunt phyllis and her husband was uncle munchie. my daughter sondra was puppy-cat so my son ethan was kitty-dog. my husband is king (david). he's the only one who believes that, though.
i always called my maternal grandfather sam, poppa, and my maternal grandmother anna, i called goldie.

new york city born and bred.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by qwkslver
We're calling our unborn grandchild Peanut. I fear he/she will be Peanut for life.
Your comment makes me smile, because a good friend of our daughter had a little girl a few months ago, and before her birth, her big brother took to calling her 'Snowflake"! (She was named MacKenzie.) I think she is still called 'Snowflake' on occasion... :)
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Had a friend that when she was born her grandma said she was "no bigger than a kidney bean." Well - her whole life she was "Beanie." She recently turned 40 and is still Beanie.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM

they call me moomoo or moomooblue cuz my middle name is blue and the fact im crazy inlove with cows....
Old 02-21-2011, 03:23 PM

Everyone from my dad's younger years calls him Barney - not his actual name, but because he looked like Barney Google when he was little. I had a cousin who was 18 before she realized that wasn't his real name.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 AM

To Ohio Quilter, yes, I remember the song, Bimbo.