Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
I need to do some catch up only have 5 made. DH and I have been looking for sewing machines. I will get caught up I promise. Everyones pinwheels look great.
They do go fast so catching up should be easy!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 AM

Good idea! I will do that also.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 AM

I'll try to post my pics of the pinwheels I have done so far. I'm making mine scrappy(NO two pinwheels alike) and also want to incorporate a spinning star into it too(I'm still working on this though) and don't know if it'll look right together. I'll have to post some pics and to get others opinions on this. I have 71 sqs. of fabric paired together and plan on working on them this afternoon. I only have 15 of them completely done so far. I need to work ahead since we're going on a cruise in a few weeks for 8 days and then before the end of this challenge we'll be going on vacation to IN. to see all the children and grandchildren. I have a granddaughter that will be ONE in May and haven't seen her yet. Thank goodness for facebook!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 AM

That sounds like a good tip. I've been marking all my seams ALL THE WAY AROUND to I could keep a straight 1/4" seam. Now, can anyone tell me how to cut them apart without screwing up? Seems my ruler wants to slip and I've tried everything.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
That sounds like a good tip. I've been marking all my seams ALL THE WAY AROUND to I could keep a straight 1/4" seam. Now, can anyone tell me how to cut them apart without screwing up? Seems my ruler wants to slip and I've tried everything.
My ruler would do the same thing, so now I fold the square like a triangle, press than fold again from the other point, press..It leaves a crease right where you need to cut and than I take my rotary cutter and cut right along the lines..I am doing a 8 inch square before cutting the triangles and for me its working good..
Old 02-21-2011, 11:01 AM

Thanks, I'll do this tonight. I have several pinned together and after I chain piece them, I'll press & cut. BTW the hint about butting the two halves together really does work for keeping points together. I thought there was a tute on this thread but I can't find it. But that one little thread holding the two halves together really does anchor the seams together.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 PM

I use the 1/4" all around then cut two triangles, reposition ruler and cut those two triangles into two more. If your ruler slips pick up some little round adhesive sandpaper dots, put them on the underside of the ruler and your ruler will not slip. Hope this is clear enough to help.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by grandme26
I use the 1/4" all around then cut two triangles, reposition ruler and cut those two triangles into two more. If your ruler slips pick up some little round adhesive sandpaper dots, put them on the underside of the ruler and your ruler will not slip. Hope this is clear enough to help.
yes, it's clear. been there, done that. maybe I need to replace my little dots - huh?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks, I'll do this tonight. I have several pinned together and after I chain piece them, I'll press & cut. BTW the hint about butting the two halves together really does work for keeping points together. I thought there was a tute on this thread but I can't find it. But that one little thread holding the two halves together really does anchor the seams together.
I did that a few times but I think the center is a lot more bulky than pressing open the seams.
I can't seem to find that little stitch to clip and then fan out the seams. :oops:
Old 02-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Mary O. OK! I'm a dummy and trying to learn, I'm new at this quilting but I need pic steps to see if I can do them better than the sew around method. I would like to try your way maybe they easier. I bought a embroidery machine two years ago, done that wanted to try other things now. My friend told me about this pinwheels and I signed up thinking what have I got myself in. But have had fun doing pinwheels, but if it a eariser way please help. Thanks