Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your worst "flaw"? >

What's your worst "flaw"?

What's your worst "flaw"?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by jemma
i have perfect seams +perfect binding+perfect quilting my colour choices are wonderfull------my only flaw is i lie about my quilting abilities !!!!!!!!!
Same here.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM

I never complete a quilt. I say I just like to choose fabric and learn a technique when the truth is, I'm easily distracted and want to try the next thing I see. You can imagine what my quilt room looks like.....Gigi
Old 02-21-2011, 04:52 PM

I have to say that I do have 1/4" seams pretty consistently because I hand quilt and use the 1/4" tape which is fantastic but my biggest flaw is procrastation - starting so many things and putting them aside for something new before I finish the first!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 PM

My worst flaw is just getting myself to sit down at the sewing machine and start. Once I've started, I don't want to stop.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM

procrastination
Old 02-21-2011, 05:51 PM

Flaws?? I like for my quilts to have character, and believe me they do!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
I guess my flaw would be that I hate finishing the quilt because it hurts my arms to move it around. I tire easily so it's a major chore to push that sucker thru the machine or even lift it. I also hate the cutting process.
USE GARDENING GLOVES. GET THEM SMALLER, SMALL BUMPS.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I hate when seams don't match up. I try to let it go. I really do. But I usually rip and restitch.
Same here! I try to just ignore it, but it's there and I can spot it a mile away, so a rip-it I go!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Sometimes I'm just too picky. I've been at my worst with this stained glass quilt project because of all the different colors involved (70+) and have been driving myself INSANE trying to match the colors as closely as I can. But I tried improvising and printed out the image in black and white and colored in with the same general colors and it looked a bit off. I figure "Hey, this is my project. I have a vision and I'm going to stick with it and people are going to think it looks freaking fantastic when its finished".
Hey, who says the quilt you are looking at has the "right" colors. I have people look at my quilts and say, "ooooh, you have such a fun color sense" (or something) and others say, "Oh my, errrr, yes, very interesting" and make me feel sorry for them because of the agony on their face. Opinions vary from AAA to ZZZ.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM

OK, I've read all the input and here is my final say:

I was the San Francisco Folk Art Museum where there was a show entitled "4 generations" of quilters. There was a wonderful video of the second generation who talked about her mother, her daughter and her granddaughter. She talked about picking up a piece of fabric (probably pretty much pre-cut by her to an unraggedy shape) and looking at it for a moment and then after a turn or two, began to sew.

The person doing the interview said, "But what if you make a mistake?" The grandmother's eyes flew open in astonishment (she doesn't make mistakes????) and she threw back her head and roared with laughter, and when under control she said, "Honey, if you make something with love there can't be any "mistake". Love doesn't leave room for mistakes." (my memory may be paraphrasing).

My answer to the question of my worst flaw: I still agonize about puckers, mismatching seams..... until I remember this wonderful woman and her beautiful way of relating to life.