Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
honest opinion about this fabric >

honest opinion about this fabric

honest opinion about this fabric

Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Doo rags /// my son is always on me for something new - that one is NOT in my fabric batch = but I'll bet they sell ... stop by etsy or a local biker bar (oh dead I cannot believe I just said that!!!) Any way, my point is it has a life, just not the one you had in mind ..are you in guild where you could find a trader?
I did WHITE GLOVE for Road to California and there was a new category called Day of the Dead .. was very popular - I was clueless and couldn't answer and questions.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM

Applique some more hearts over the skulls and it will look OK. Use a small machine satin stitch. I did this on some expensive but yukky fabric and it turned out very well.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
One Block Wonder or a Stack N Whack maybe?

San
Totally agree
Old 02-21-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
I inherited some of this in some scraps and I'm with you, don't know what to do with it. Maybe make a girls purse, you know slouch purse and sell it. I don't have enough to do it and thank you no, I don't want anymore of it. Best of luck with it. ((and with your daughter))

Blessings, Ruth
Just a thought, but this type of fabric might go well at a Tattoo shop. Would make great bandanas for lady bikers.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 PM

Pillowcases!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 PM

OOOOO! I love this fabric!! This would be fun to play with! I agree with maybe doing a stack-n-whack or a One Block Wonder. Or you could do:

- a cinch-top bucket bag (a draw string purse type of bag
- an insulated lunch box
- flat iron case
- text book cover
- a hang up organizer for a kids room or locker (make that fabric be the background and find other matching fabrics for the pockets/pouches)

Or if you have a friend who loves/rides motorcycles and has a little one that would be a great quilt for the lil one. :)

Hope any of this helps even a little bit! You should have a blast with it!! Or if you decide not to keep it I would be willing to take it off your hands...I ride a motorcycle and have a ton of friend that ride also and we all have little ones. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Someone else might just love it. Maybe you could sell it or trade it with someone on the board. It is a thought.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, for sure. I have some bandannas which I use as blindfolds for leadership games with my 4-H students. Some of the bandannas look very similar to your fabric. The kids fight over who gets to wear them. (Because they really like it, or if they're blindfolded then they can't see how it looks? :-) As for the quilt properties - dress it up or dress it down, it depends on what you pair with the fabric to achieve a certain look. Don't be afraid to play with it. The colors are pretty, and it'll be easy to blend into something which looks entirely different. Some Dead Head will pay big bucks to have something made from that. If not a quilt, a quilted vest, a messenger bag, or a really cool tote bag. Not my idea of beauty, but ugly - a long way from ugly.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Maybe make a quilt for a soldier serving overseas? You could always use it for the backing, giving the soldier an option of 2 different "looks". You could look for a unit on AnySoldier.com http://anysoldier.com/

When I was in Iraq we got pillows (really GOOD pillows) from ladies who worked in a pillow factory. I loved mine and I normally hate pillows. The idea that some total stranger took the time to shop for or make something means a lot. A twin or full-sized quilt can be given to a soldier's child when they return home.

I like the comment about Guns 'N Roses. There are lots of hard rock or classic rock fans in the military, plus skulls are popular tattoo themes with Army or Marines. I think this fabric would work fine for this sort of project.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
One Block Wonder or a Stack N Whack maybe?

San
Stack N Whack would really be pretty and interesting!!!