Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Peter Walsh works with a quilting hoarder. >

Peter Walsh works with a quilting hoarder.

Peter Walsh works with a quilting hoarder.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Oh, I just happen to remember, we looked for this program on jan 21st. i missed it.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 PM

It repeats again tonight at 11pm (EST)
Also here is a link to OWN website with a few video clips of the show.
http://www.oprah.com/own-enough-alre...-Confrontation
Old 02-22-2011, 05:06 AM
Zoe

Yeah, this poor lady had a true obsession with all quilting things. She also kept all sorts of craft items, Christmas decorations, etc. Her living room was just a junk pile of anything and everything, including some very nice finished quilts.

BUT, I did not like Walsh's attitude. You can have more than two choices when sorting through that stuff. Why didn't this lady let those quilt helpers take what they wanted, especially given that they are part of her circle with quilting for the veterans? Why not have a yard sale, filling bins with items such as threads, patterns, fabrics, etc? Why throw away kits with some pre-sewn pieces?

That poor patient husband having to put up with not being able to use an enormous living room because of all her stuff made me feel so sorry for him.

Then I found myself weeping when the Army folks showed up to help her store her remaining items. Would you rather wade through your collections and not see your beautiful grandchildren?

Today, I've started sorting through my own stash inspired by this lady's problem, but I am nowhere near that bad. Just saying, and I would never let that Walsh in my house.

For years I worked for an elderly accountant who gave me two invaluable pieces of advice: Never let the Internal Revenue Service or Social Services inside your home. They always find something negative! :lol:
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 AM

Yes, she mentioned the mice. Where is climate control? I don't recall them saying where this was located so heat/cold may be an issue. Walsh was so thrilled with a pressing area but the cutting table was too low. And then his statement that she shouldn't have more fabric in various colors than would fit in the bins. I guess we now don't acknowledge that there are hues and values in color! One color does not fit all. Maybe doing patriotic all of hers are the same??

No, that garage isn't going to look like that once it is in use. The fabric fairy does not show up to put things away at my house anyhow!

I wonder how daughter's house looks that she can complain about mom's. This same thing happened a few weeks ago on the show. Maybe the girls want mom's house uncluttered enough that she will now be available for babysitting instead of quilting?

Does Peter Walsh visit husband spaces or do they just pick on the women and their houses?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Baby Catcher
I don't understand how anyone can let their house get that bad. I'd like to see her house 6 months fron now.
Sadly, lots of people suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disease and she sounds as if she has that. I cannot get most of these channels here to see it, but it sounds very distressing.

All I can say is, there but for the grace of God goes me!

After posting this I watched the video clip of the start of this program. Barbara, really has a problem and it does look like OCD. She needs help not condemnation.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 AM

I have decided I need to purge some of my stuff I have had cabbage away for years and have not used, with the price of cotton going up maybe someone could use them, and I will feel better without them hanging over my head waiting to be finished
Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 AM

I hate those hoarders shows. Not because the person doesn't need help, but because no one should be put in that sort of humiliating spotlight. Ocd is a disease, my son has it and while he isn't a hoarding ocd, I would hate to see his obsessions shown on a tv show. I felt the womans hurt and shame and I wanted to slap the daughters face.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 AM

The show did show how easily things can get out of hand.
And how it can affect the family. I did not like the fact they stored her fabric in plastic containers. Wondering about
needing AC in the summer in California. (?) And how did they plug in her sewing machine in the center of the room? LOL
The idea was focused on the 'situationn' at her home.
The show didn't show the specifics on lighting, cooling. But I suppose that wasn't the point of the show, I really want to know more about the specifics and details.
I believe they did show the necessity of keeping things under control. :D
Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 AM

I did not see this show but have seen many Hoarders type episodes. They used to have a big 2-3 day clean up, they do NOT do that anymore. It is not the way to deal with this problem, it has to be a gradual, ongoing process.
Just because she has a good cause does not mean she does not have a problem. It is the inability to let go, the feeling that only you can properly deal with all your clutter/stash.

One thing they don't emphasize enough, IMHO, is how selfish the hoarder is. If they want to keep their stuff in their room, fine, but they take over the WHOLE HOUSE and the other people who live there do not have any rights. No way would I put up with that in a spouse. I would be throwing stuff out as fast as they brought it in.
I am looking forward to seeing a rerun of this.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 AM

I wanted to be her neighbor and take some of that off her hands!!!!!!!!!!