Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18... >

Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

Question for anyone who has had a kid turn 18...

Old 02-20-2011, 03:41 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Did you find that as soon as they turned 18, and "became an adult", that their attitude soured?

How long does it take for them to get over themselves?
My DD was a know-it-all until she was about 26. Of course, she was in medical school and residency until that time, too, so....
Looking back I realize I really did "like" her better when she was 14 - 18. Now at 31 she's returned to being my best friend....since she's realized again Mom ain't the dumbest rock in the box, LOL!

Jan in VA
Old 02-20-2011, 03:50 PM

My house, my rules was the way of keeping our kids in tow. That did not change when they. Hit 18. If they wanted our assistance with college, rules stood,, &thank God it worked.

Our kids are now 36. & 40. Parents of their own, & have told us they are very grateful we stood strong, & they are bringing up their kids the same way.

It wasn't always easy, & I agree boys are easier. We awarded our daughter the Sarsh burnhart award many times! What goes around comes around, she now has a boy who is a challenger, just as she was. I laugh at her frustration, but it's. A joy to see her handle it with such maturity.

Children are our greatest joy & sorrow wrapped up in 1, woulldn't change a day of it.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 PM

At least till they leave home and find out what life really is! Praying for you....
Old 02-20-2011, 04:09 PM

My kids are 18, 22 and 24... UGH!!!
I hope the attitude changes!
Right now I know nothing, have nothing of value to input, am completely wrong in whatever assessment I make... and thus, have stopped making suggestions and recommendations.

But my dogs are terrific... they love me unconditionally, greet me with pure joy, make me smile daily, never stress me and they depend on me for everything.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 AM

Mine are 18 & 20 soon to be 19 & 21 and are good. Both are in college and responsible for their own costs. We try to help with cars and insurance since they need those for commuting and work. But we don't have too many rules. They have helped with chores for years. We don't have many rules just common courtesy. So I can't complain at all. I do treat them as adults and sometimes when they want me to do something for them I will say, well your an adult you need to be doing that yourself. Husband and I joined the military at 18 & 19 respectively so we can say at your age....lol
Old 02-21-2011, 05:00 AM

When my daughter turned 18, after several years of difficulty with her, she started staying out til all hours, and it really bothered me and her father, we had a serious discussion with her, and her response was that she was 18 and could stay out as long as she wanted, I thought about that for a minute, and realized she was right, and I told her that yep, she could, but not while living in my house. She preceded to look for an apartment, got one and moved out, and it was really amazing, she didn't want to stay out til all hours anymore, she was tired, from working so hard to pay for the apartment. It does get better.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 AM

Got a sign for my married with children daughter that read "Just when I realized my mother was right, I have a daughter that thinks I'm wrong." Totally fit her family. Oldest offspring is a teenage girl with all kinds of opinions on just about everything.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 AM

once they r 18 they never get over it...i have a son who acts like hes better than me hes 40 and i have 3 girls who r drama queens my oldest is the worse shes 37 and my other 2 r 28 and 31 and they think they have lived it and know it all....
Old 02-22-2011, 11:39 AM

They eventually decide that you do have good sense and then when you hit the mid 60's, it's debatable again!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:45 PM
KK

For many years I have said that this is God's way of preparing us as parents to let them go !!!!! to college or to wherever. My husband told our son that he would be out of the house on his own at age 21, unless he was in college. Then we would help him. So he finally got himself to college fulltime by 21. He did go part time as he was working full time before that. Hang in there!!! Today our son is a bank officer :)))))