Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SideWInder - Why? >

SideWInder - Why?

SideWInder - Why?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 AM

Can't see paying $30.for that winder when my machine does that for me.I set aside time to wind bobbins and have them always filled so I don't have to unthread when I'm busy sewing....I would like an automatic thread picker upper but I guess I'll use my lint roller........
Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 AM

I have a couple of machines that don't have a bobbin winder built in. So yes they are necessary for some of us
MK
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mary O
Can't see paying $30.for that winder when my machine does that for me.I set aside time to wind bobbins and have them always filled so I don't have to unthread when I'm busy sewing....I would like an automatic thread picker upper but I guess I'll use my lint roller........
I paid $12.00 for mine a few years ago at JoAnn's with a 50% off coupon - Can't beat that one! My husband bought me an Oreck little hand vac that I keep by my sewing table. I always drop my thread on the floor. (Deliberately!) Actually, it keeps the table from getting messy. When I am done, I just vacuum up the puzels from the floor (puzel is a German word from my grandmother that is anything that falls on the floor and is tiny, like dog ears, thread, stuff like that - pronounced Poozle - sounds just like it looks!!!!) Mind you, I am not messy, it just seems logical that that is where the thread should go. Takes too much time to snip, pick it up, take it off the sewing table or your lap, or your slack legs (how embarrassing to go to a neighbor's house with thread all over your pants)! I heard once that using your bobbin threader can also wear out the machine. What do I know - At least it is one less thing I have to worry about. And I am a crazy fast vacuum upper!!!!!

Edie
Old 02-23-2011, 04:38 AM

I use mine when I remember to or can find it. Its not on a "must have" list.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 AM

i like my sidewinder because it is easier than unthreading and retheading the machine
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 AM

I don't have one and have no plans on getting one.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:48 AM

I have a sidewinder but my little Brother machine doesn't like to work with too full or tight bobbin which the sidewinder does.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 AM

I bought one on sale since you need to unwind the thread on my machine to fill one and didn't want to mess with that. Loved it while it worked but it only lasted about a year--now it winds VERY slowly if at all so I don't use it. I just wind several bobbins when I start the spool of thread and work that way.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 AM

I bought one several years ago when it was on sale for half price. I love it! Both my machines require unthreading in order to fill bobbins and I hate to do it....I also bought extra bobbins and before starting a project I fill about 12 bobbins so I don't even have to stop for quite some time.

It's just a small step in streamlining the process for me.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 AM

I have one and the main reason I bought it was so that I didn't have to unthread my machine while working on a project to wind a new bobbin. I wind 5 or 6 bobbins before and start a project but often that is not enough. Also, I seem to have to have every new gadget that comes out. Widh I had waited to get mine because now they have improved it and they have one that holds those huge spools of thread like the ones used for sergers.