Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SideWInder - Why? >

SideWInder - Why?

SideWInder - Why?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:21 AM

I own one and love it for the fact, I can't get my machine threaded easily - the autothreader does not work, and my eyesight is another problem - and I even bought the needle threader - but if you can't see the hole in the needle, what good is the needle threader? :))

That said, I can set the bobbin winder to winding extra bobbins, while I sew - I have extra thread to do this with, and no need to stop sewing and will have my extra bobbin ready to go when I'm ready to put it in...

That is only my side of the story - but I do like it.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
I recieved one as a gift, I use it, I dislike unthreading to fill an empty bobbin.
Call me lazy.
Amen, to that. To me it's so much easier then stopping the machine to thread a bobbin. I do three before I start sewing and know I have enough, usually. One of the best gadgets I've ever bought.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I just opened a box, that had a SideWinder in it - It looks like it just fills up bobbins - or does it do something else.

Mind you that I have 2 older sewing machines - a Viking from the 70's and a Bernina from the 80's - Bobbins can be filled on my sewing machines

Is it something that is needed in a sewing room. Isn't just as easy to use you sewing machine to fill your bobbins - Does everyone have one of them?
I thought it was a "must have" item. Bought it, tried it, took it back the same day. My Pfaff 2170 bobbin winder was giving me fits that day ... after all that I found out it was "operator error" on the Pfaff. I now wind and keep several bobbins of quilting thread full. Savings: $25 Gas to get to Hancock's back and forth: $10. :)
Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 AM

neat, i got one for a christmas present, have not tried it yet, will have to dig it out.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 AM

I get regular posts from Sew We Quilts and she had a guest blogger that talked about the notions she has bought over the years and the side winder was at the top of her list. She said that it is loud, uses batteries and is pretty much a waste of money. I've thought about it, but really would rather spend my money on fabric or thread.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 AM

I have one and haven't used it , it was a gift
Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 AM
QKO

Just a couple of clarifications on this discussion:

The older model Sidewinders would not take certain Viking and Bernina bobbins.

The later models do pretty much all of them. This is explained on the box, so if you go to buy one, make sure you're getting a model that'll work with your machine's bobbins.

Later ones also have a 110 adapter, so you can use it with wall current and don't have to use batteries.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 AM

I love mine because I, too,, have to unthread my machine to wind a bobbin. If I'm in the middle of quilting and I know the bobbin is getting low, I can fill a new bobbin and have it ready when the other one runs out.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 AM

i have a side winder,,i use it to wind bobbins for my quilting machine,,,my husband, who is a retired sewing machine mechanic,,,says if you run the machine fast to wind a bobbin the heat could damage the hook,so i don't run bobbins on my machine unless i am sewing
Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 AM

I got one for Christmas, best thing I received. I love that I don't have to take the time to unthread, wind, rethread, it takes too much time! You will love it! and yest that is all it does!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-163780.png
Views:	137
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	163785