Girl Scout Cookies

Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 AM

Here in Denver they're 3.50 a box.... we bought 3 each from the Grand daughters.... that was Monday.... I've already scarffed mine down...that's it untill next year.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 AM

Not buying any this year. DH already lost 30 pounds and we're not bringing temptation into our house!!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 AM

$3.50 in VA. Only bought one box. I try to at least do that. I was a cookie mom and a co-leader.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM

$4.oo in Massachusetts
Nanamoe
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 AM

i agree with you. nothing irritates me more than to see the baseball teams and others just standing outside the doors of a store with their coffee can coin collectors. i won't donate to that. bake some cookies, wash my car - do something!!! that is what is wrong with us today. i don't begrudge anyone that truly needs help whether it be food, clothing etc but to just come right out and beg for money by children is setting a terrible example. they grow up thinking if they want something they don't have to do anything to get it - just keep asking and eventually someone will give it to them!
my feelings exactly!! it's called a sense of entitlement.

BTW, saw an article about what to do with "leftover" GS cookies -- hello, what is that? around here if we ever get any they are almost gone before the wrapper hits the garbage can.

Probably from the same people who believe in leftover Halloween candy. When I was a kid if someone had tried to take some of MY halloween candy they would have drawn back a nub.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
i agree with you. nothing irritates me more than to see the baseball teams and others just standing outside the doors of a store with their coffee can coin collectors. i won't donate to that. bake some cookies, wash my car - do something!!! that is what is wrong with us today. i don't begrudge anyone that truly needs help whether it be food, clothing etc but to just come right out and beg for money by children is setting a terrible example. they grow up thinking if they want something they don't have to do anything to get it - just keep asking and eventually someone will give it to them!
my feelings exactly!! it's called a sense of entitlement.

BTW, saw an article about what to do with "leftover" GS cookies -- hello, what is that? around here if we ever get any they are almost gone before the wrapper hits the garbage can.

Probably from the same people who believe in leftover Halloween candy. When I was a kid if someone had tried to take some of MY halloween candy they would have drawn back a nub.
LEFTOVER GS cookies?!?! Who ever heard of such a thing?? Found out last night that DH had a stash in the freezer. Guess he couldn't resist regardless of the price. :lol:
Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by bluadept
There are only 2 companies that are licensed to make girl scout cookies and except for the traditional 5 cookies type each council can also pick 1-2 additional types.
True. Also true is that the troop gets a percentage, the council gets a percentage, and the baker gets the rest. Each council determines the baker, the cost, and the percentage.

When my girls sold cookies, they went door to door, together. We made a troop day of it. There were sessions of how to approach a customer, present the sale item, etc. The girls learned how to use tact in dealing with people. The sales at the stores are often in addition to the door to door sales. We used those only when the girls had a big trip coming up, and needed extra funds.

I am sorry to hear that some parents don't allow their girls to go out to sell the cookies. It can be a good learning experience for them.

By the way, I recently had a girl come to the door selling cookies. I bought several boxes. (Most will be given away.) Girl Scouts is one organization that allows girls to learn about leadership without the extra social pressures of being in a group with boys. So often in mixed groups, the girls hang back and do nothing because the boys are there. I am willing to support the troops because of those leadership opportunities. My daughters are better leaders for having had the opportunity.

So if you choose to buy cookies or to give a donation, your choice. I have made mine.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Same here in Iowa
Originally Posted by dforesee
$3.50 a box in Alabama. I thought they cost the same everywhere; guess not.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by craftmama
$4.50 in South Florida
I'm in Central Florida and they are 3.50 ?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Do the girl scouts get more than 50 cents a box now? The parents/leaders do all the work and get very little for their efforts. I can't have the cookies and would rather donate the cost of a box or two of cookies directly to the "cause".