Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Live Your Quilting Passion! >

Live Your Quilting Passion!

Live Your Quilting Passion!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 AM

This blog came to me while I was sitting in a meeting last night at a table surrounded by people who had a real passion for Lutheran High School of Indianapolis. Mr. Man Cave was presenting a campaign proposal to the board and asked the question "What do you love about Lutheran High School?" As everyone shared their thoughts and feelings, I could see the love and passion for the school in their voices. They nearly filled a whole flipchart page full of responses in only a couple of minutes. Why was that so easy? They are "passionate" about what they do on the school board and are willing to take "ownership" in the school's future to make sure the mission there continues well beyond the few years that their own children attend.

So, this morning I am asking you "What is Your passion?" Is it quilting, scrapbooking, baking, cooking, writing or something else? What are you willing to commit your time and money to in order to see that it survives?

If you are "passionate" about something in your life that you want to share with the world, you need to first be "passionate" about yourself and your talents. In my case, it wouldn't surprise you to hear that my "passions" are quilting and writing.

I know some may think that it was crazy for me to walk away from a great paying healthcare career last summer in this economy, but folks-I had to do it. My quilting was calling me from the heart. God was telling me it was time.

During the last year and a half, I have been fortunate to have interviewed to be editor of Quilter's World magazine, invited to Paducah, KY and interviewed to become their Director of Educational Programming at the National Quilt Museum, been blessed with a steady stream of customers who want quilts, administered my own web site, wrote two novels on-line, launched a retreat for the Fall and just last night I secured a trunk show tour. Who would have ever thought that would happen?

So? What are you waiting for? You might strike out a few times along the way. I am not the editor of Quilter's World, nor am I working in Paducah, but you know what? I will never forget the day EITHER of those calls came in! It's been a real learning process, with more lessons along the way to come I am sure. But let me encourage you to "just do it". You'll feel a sense of great peace and true "passion" like you've never experienced before!

Live your passion!

[email protected]
Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM

You're so blessed Rhonda! Why? Because you went with God's gift to you. And you're proclaiming His blessings. You'll probably inspire many more people than you realize with this post, not to mention alerting others (like me)that your website & novels are worth looking into. Wish you all the best.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 AM

He never leads us astray!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Rhonda,
Your post brought a smile and a moment of contemplation to my afternoon. I call what you're doing, "following your bliss". Your words about it make it very clear and give us pause to think how to apply that to ourselves.
Wonderful!

Jan in VA
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM

You have given me inspiration.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Wonderful thread. Follow that dream and if you listen to HIM, I don't believe you can ever go wrong.