Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 AM

Look up the salaries the top CEO at Goodwill makes, also their district managers and then you will know why they charge so much. I don't feel a charity should be in it for the money. Salvation Army CEO makes a pittance compared to Goodwill and I see all kinds of things they do. Like homeless shelters, women's shelters, centers for kids, helping persons with rent, etc. Just check out the local thrift stores, bigger towns have some real good ones.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
I heard a clerk talking the last time I was in Goodwill and they were saying most of teh good stuff gets culled and sold online
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/
Oh my gosh... those were auctions, just like Ebay! I'm sorry, but for a charity, this just sounds greedy. They are spending some major bucks to run a website like that.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Some place like Goodwill will price things at whatever the traffic will bear for a given area. If it's an upper income area the prices will be higher than lower income areas. You have to shop around. I've seen some good deals at Goodwill and some not so good.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 AM

One of my favorite pieces of furniture is a Victorian oak table that I purchased at the Cambridge Ohio Goodwill for $10, a LONG time ago. It was damaged and I used it for a sewing table for a good seven years before I found someone to repair it. It is such a cute little table, and I'm still grateful for having found it at a price I could afford at the time. Just wanted to share :)
Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tsanchez
The Goodwill here is more expensive now than they were just a year ago. There is a Salvation Army really close to where I live and their prices are just about as much as brand new. I have stopped shopping at either one of these places because the prices have gone up so much. We do however have a small thrift store here that I volunteer at. All proceeds go to a horse rescue ranch. Now their prices are really good. This is now the only "thrift" store I buy at any more.
Is that the one in Edgewood? If so, I'll have to stop in there when I get back to NM. Anybody need a horse? I need to find a home for my gelding.
Talking Talons in Cedar Crest has some good prices too.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Hi:

I travel many of our states and visit many used stores and you will find this. But most of the time you will find bargains.
I find the Catholic stores to be more reasonable in there pricing.

But I go to Goodwill most the time.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 AM

We like to stop in at the Habitat occasionally. I found a neat older Kenmore in a cabinet for $50, I had to nurse it back to health (work oil into all the moveable parts) but she sews like a little dream. You know your money is going to good cause there. My husband has picked up a few odds and ends for remodeling in the house.

Marysewfun
Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 AM

For Real ???? Those are very high but here in Jax is much, much cheaper! I have brought a brand new dining set with couple minor fine, small scratch for $100.00 & it came with 4 beautiful chairs. Pfaff sew machine for $4 & computer chair (vinyl & nicely stuffed) for $6, etc...the only time i thought they were high was a dirty, ugly, broken down china cabinet for $60. I guess it depends on the location & maybe mood of the ticketing person? I have been to an Catholic church in NY and found some nice clothes very reasonably also.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 AM
jme

The problem with goodwill is that anyone can own one. I find some good prices on items but I also find their prices on clothes are awful. At our stores you can buy a plain white mens' undershirt (like fruit of the loom or a name brand blouse) for the same price. I like the other stores better. Our salvation army or Thrift town (ARC) has much better prices and I only go to GW during their 1/2 off sales.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 AM

Our closest DAV, Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores are all high! You can buy a lot of the same items cheaper brand new.

We do have a thrift store called St. Vincent DePaul which is much cheaper, and they also give back to the community, so we mostly shop there.