Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do your kids sew/quilt? >

do your kids sew/quilt?

do your kids sew/quilt?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:33 AM

I had GD age 5 for the weekend and taught her how to sew on machine. She made doll quilt. Mom said I am signing her up for mini 4-H in sewing.
She loved it so I guess we will be sewing more. My daughters are not that interested in sewing so I will work on GD!!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM

I taught my husband to sew when he came up with a Cub Scout project (he was the den leader) and he assumed I would do the sewing. Ha ha!

My oldest son asked me to teach him how to do counted cross-stitch when he was in second or third grade. He made a cute little owl picture with the words "Knowledge is power." He must have seen something like that at school because it was his idea. I just had to find a little owl pattern.

My youngest son does know how to sew on a button. :lol:
Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 AM

My daughter sewed her first quilt (a small rail fence pillow sham) when she was 7 yo. The next summer she mad a pair of PJ pants that she wore until she could no longer fit in them. She hates taking direction so she has not progressed past that, though she got a bargain on a party dress (she is almost 20yo) and bragged that she got 25% off the sale price because the flower embellishment was falling off--but she was going to put the sewing skills I taught her to good use and fix it herself! she has made coaster, table runners,... at odd times for gifts to grandmothers, but though interested not attentive enough to finish other things she plans and starts. Someday. She does know how
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM

My daughter, age 38, would not know how to even thread a needle or sew a button on. I tried to teach her how to sew when she was growing up, but she never had any interest at all.

I am teaching her daughters (ages 6 & 7) how to sew, but we live over a thousand miles apart, so it is kind of hard to do it, when I visit just twice a year.

I am thinking about putting together some kind of quilting kit to take to them to start them out with on quilting.

Then I can give them directions on what to do until I visit the next time.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 AM

My Grandson[ 12] loves to come visit[he is in NC and I'm in SC]. Last visit he was here[around Christmas] He made his own quilt and is so proud of it. Plus 2 pillows to match. He has done crafts with NANA since he was 3. I will hate it when he is not interested any more. Tomorrow they are coming to make around 40 Thank you cards for his Aunt who just had a baby shower 3 weeks ago. Poor girl has been in the Hosp for 2 weeks now. Keeps have contractions and not due for 2 more months. I love it when I have someone to come and play with me.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 AM

I live 300 miles from my granddaughter, but have on occasion when visiting, been helping her with a small table top project; I advised her to hand sew it together to get the feel for working with fabric, and since it is small floral all over fabric and some batiks, she does not have to mind the direction of the flow of how she puts the 2 1/2 inch squares together for starters. She does quite well with keeping her stitches small; I hope she continues to want to learn sewing; once she gets this one done - I'll show her how to sew with the sewing machine; her mom invested in one 5 years ago and is still in the box! So, will get it out maybe this summer and spend a bit of time with her on another project; I have lots of fabric, so she can pick what she wants and I set her up with a mat and cutting wheel, and ruler and etc. So, she is not lacking for everything she needs to make anything happen she so desires to start. She does beautiful crosstitch and embroidery work; her mother does Hardanger, and has taught her how to do it also. So, she has the background - now to find time with all the extra curricular activites in school to keep her interest.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 AM

One daughter does, she's into the modern quilt designs & new fabrics - she's doing great. I taught them all how to sew but she's the only one sewing & quilting. Another likes to paint & recycle used furniture & funky items but doesn't like to sew.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 AM

My 8 yr old g/d has an interest in it and has started doing so. She comes over at least once a week most times and we work on such.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM

None of my children were interested when they were growing up. Now that they are parents themselves they would like to learn. I am too far from them to teach them now.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM

I teach in two after school programs at my granddaughter's schools. There is a lot of stuff to take (no storage). I so love to see where these girls are going to take it. The first quilt we donated. They were so kind, and we were able to finish two wall hangings for their rooms in different patterns. They are a delight and I know when you plant a sead at a young age, it will sprout.
My first dress was made by me at age 12 and I have not stopped since. LOVE IT.