Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do your kids sew/quilt? >

do your kids sew/quilt?

do your kids sew/quilt?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM

Had a mother/daughters bonding Christmas present one year. Signed us all up for a basic quilting class and included supplies - cutting mat, rotary cutter and fabric needed. Had a great time and both girls are now avid quilters. Have to guard my stash!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 AM

One of my daughters enjoys sewing small things. She hasn't quilted yet. I think the bug will hit her soon. My youngest (19) is working on an apron and pot holders for her boyfriend's sister's wedding shower Saturday. She is learning how to bind today. It has been a process. The biggest thing is teaching them nothing is absolutely perfect. Go with it and have fun.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Way to go!!!! Both my daughters crochet. And the younger one makes a lot of plarn items for Autism charities
Old 02-25-2011, 10:14 AM

My 2 son and daughter all now how to use a sewing machine, and the best of all is when my gd now 10 yrs comes and sew with me. A cute little story here. When she was 8. She come here one day and had $4. and wanted to buy my sewing machine. No i didnt sell it to her and today i wish i would of, even if it would of cost me an arm and leg for a new machine to replace the one .But i did get her a used machine later on that yr.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM

When our daughters were 10 & 13 I insisted they learn how to sew. They did it kicking and screaming but now that they are in their 40's they both have told me they are glad I made them learn how to sew. My oldest daughter Valerie is a great artist and has her own website doing artistic stuff (thesumofallcrafts.blogspot.com) and my youngest daughter has made a lot of things for her home, drapes, cornices, curtains, pillows, etc.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM

I have tried, but the bug didn't bite anyone yet.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:52 AM

My son has been quilting since he was 11. He's done several 4-H projects and has had his quilts go to state competition. This year he's designing his own pattern. He wants it to look like the video game tetris. He's got it all drawn out and just needs to figure out yardage.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 AM

My oldest daughter has never been interested at all in learning to sew and I always found that a little disappointing. She is now 28 and taken up sewing with a vengence making doggy fashions. Now things are rapidly starting to disappear from my sewing room - fabric, scissors, thread, elastic, rotary cutter, mat, large folding table and my Husqvarna Prelude 350 with the quilter's table and walking foot. She loves the machine which is great but it was my leave it packed ready to take to class machine. This is probably the down side of having a daughter bitten by the stitching bug.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 PM

My daughter wants to be involved in every aspect of quilting until it comes to the actual sewing and she is scared of the needle. I figure she will get over her fear in time. Her curiousity will get the better of her. I bought a newer machine with more stitches and quilting features, and gave her the older Brother machine I had been using. It still works, and is very simple to operate and will be perfect for her to learn on.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:36 PM

I started by teaching all seven of our children (2 boys & 5 girls ages 24 to 6 ˝) garment sewing as soon as each child could sew a button on by hand. Several years ago one daughter won a sewing machine in a sewing contest and because she had just been blessed with a pass along sewing machine she was delighted to turn around and bless one of her younger siblings with the new Brother.
For the last five years, we’ve been learning together how to quilt. We all love working together . . . picture your old Home Ec. classroom type of sewing area. Everyone is usually working on their own thing unless a deadline is approaching. I try to use each item that they are working on as a teaching tool so that even if someone isn’t working on sewing curves in a specific block everyone has an opportunity to learn the technique for future projects. I asked my husband a couple of weeks ago if he ever retires if he’d like to learn how to quilt . . . . there was a lot of silence. All the children are praying he gets bitten by the “long arm quilting bug” at the quilt show this year!