Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do your kids sew/quilt? >

do your kids sew/quilt?

do your kids sew/quilt?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Both of my kids want nothing to do with sewing, think it's boring. My daughter doesn't mind having me sew for her, which I do alot.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 PM

My boys sewed in a class in middle school but won't touch anything to do with sewing now. Even tho one is married he brings me everything that needs mended or shortened. Of course so does my DIL :-D
Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 AM

I think it's great that your kids sew. Both my DD and DS took home ec in junior high. My DS majored in music theater in college. He worked in the costume shop to earn spending money. He lives in NYC now. Couple of years ago while home for a few days at Christmas, he asked if I would help him make aprons for his roommates for gifts. He picked a pattern and the material and away he went. They came out great. He has made his own curtains for his apartment too.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 AM

I have sewed for decades but only started quilting a few months ago with the help of my eldest daughter, Sharon B. My middle daughter is also learning. I used to sew for Barbie and Cabbage Patch because they never complained about patterns, styles or wearing 'home-made' LOL
Old 02-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned

I always found that when teaching kids to sew during 4-H, scouts, or parks & rec after school programs, that boys loved to sew and were quicker to pick it up and enjoy it than girls were. Girls were always stuck on who had the pretty fabric!
I taught a hand piecing class to 5th grade class as part of a math project and the boys all had theirs done the first day..the girls..took 2 days...
Old 02-26-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm at my dgds now teaching pillow case 101 right now. She is going to a b'day party today and is thrilled she can take something she made herself. She's eleven. Her mom, my dd is making one for The boy. I used to teach 4h sewing when my girls were little, but they weren't interested then!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:43 PM

Neither of my kids sew but my 7 year old grandson loves to use my sewing machine. Guess its time I started teaching him how to use it to actually make something. He needs a new activity for when he's here, he is already a better cook than his Mom (my DD).
Old 02-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pkary
Neither of my kids sew but my 7 year old grandson loves to use my sewing machine. Guess its time I started teaching him how to use it to actually make something. He needs a new activity for when he's here, he is already a better cook than his Mom (my DD).
hey, if he is interested teach him to make a pillow case, then a small quilt, or some PJ bottoms..those are really easy...
OR even pot holders, tote bags to give as Christmas gifts this year...take pix of him actually making them and he can keep a journal of who each item is for and why he chose that fabric etc...that will keep him busy! and what fun come Christmas!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Great that your kids share your quilting with you.

My oldest daughter has been sewing since she was 8. She loves quilting.

The younger daughter ONLY sews if she has to, loves my quilts though!

My boys only sewed when they HAD to do any mending in college, they both do love the quilts I've made for them and now the quilts and other things I make for their kids too.

I'm okay with them they're wonderful! :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Dee

I think that is great. Taught my son to sew buttons and iron. When he first entered the Navy ( for extra $) he had quite a business. Sewing is for everyone. The quilts are fantastic. Congrat!