Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What do you like best and least about your sewing space? >

What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

wow, what a neat way to get your fabs folded uniformly and so clever to be able to know at a glance about how much is there! If you could see me, I'd show you a continuous joke me and hubby have...when we are impressed with each other we put one hand on our chest....
when our baby daughter graduated and all the seniors marched around the field...just as she was walking up in front of us (in bleachers), the whole family all put their hand on their chest, (thing she didn't know was, we were more relieved than impressed, LOL! gotta love her!)
thanks for that tip. I do have a LOT of fabric and even felt guilty while I was sick for a year, but I am BACK!!!

wanted to give a tip or info to anyone planning on building shelves on their existing walls...cause I saw somewhere where somebody was planning on just using little "L" brackets....hubby had to put up some plywood first, bc there weren't a lot of studs in our walls to put screws in. Well, he did a good job with it all, but in some places he 'pieced' the plywood. Well, sometime yesterday while I was out, one shelf full of fabric bundles, fell...we used large braces, but they weren't "triangles" like we had used before...adds extra strength. My fabrics were so heavy on that shelf that it actually pulled the screws out of the plywood!
I didn't notice what happened at first, bc I took a used vinly table cloth and using safety pins and plastic rings and large cup hooks (or whatever, bc these are the big ones - gold), made a curtain to keep out light and dust...and truly, to keep me from always seeing how much fabric is waiting on me...bc I buy my fabrics with certain ppl/projects in mind so when they get to their new home...mine, lol,....they have a family waiting for them...a bundle...so I have, (haven't actually counted, just in my head a while back)...about 30-40 projects waiting to be started. Working on ufo's before starting anything big. :) :oops: :D
Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 AM

Wow Shelly,a whole church to your self..How did you manage that?
I think what I like best about mine is lots of room,what I don't like is it is in the basement.The lighting isn't very good at night.And I hate being there by my self,I do have a cat down there with me. Another thing is I have a treadmill,and weight lifiting set down there. I want to get rid of the weight set,but I will keep the trade mill,It is like a famly room down there but with just the two of here we didn't use it for that. I do have a couch and chair down there but the weight set is a pain,and so heavy if I could jsut get some one to move they could have it free.Ha Hubby just don't wnat to talk about it.....so it's up to me to get rid of it..
Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 AM

I use a flannel backed tablecloth from the dollar store. Have it push pinned on my dining room wall where I sew. Fabric sticks to it. For ideas and notes I have on paper I just use a pin to secure. Works great. Sometimes I move it to the hutch and drape it from the top, catching it in the doors to hold it.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 AM

You do have such an organize space....Lol..I woould have problems finding something.....LOL...
Great room....The light is very important.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Since my sewing room is my guest bedroom and often vacant, I love that it can be a mess and stay a mess most of the time and not affect the rest of the house. I dislike that my storage options oppose each other so I am always having to move one piece to get to another. Also I am touched that the pets all want to join me in there and try their darndest to sneak in all the time and would love it if I could let them, but I hate that I can't trust their litter box habits!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I didn't really answer the question either. I really enjoy the fact that I am in the family room where the computer are and a couch and the fireplace. I love it when my DH or the kids(when they are home) come and join me in my room. I don't like being isolated from everyone else. I also love the fact that I have a whole wall of built in cabinets that are just mine. They are filled with only my quilting stuff, with the exception of the laptop computer. I have a great sewing table that my machine sinks into so I have a level surface to sew on and it has an extension for sewing those large pieces. I have a cutting table at standing height and my floor is one that I can roll my chair from sewing table to cutting table to ironing board without getting up. I wish I had a design wall, and will have to figure that one out eventually. I keep a Bose dock with my ipod in here so I have music, lots of natural light and a sliding glass door. It would be nice to spread out a little more, but then there wouldn't be room for my family!!!

This has got to be what fabric heaven looks like!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

shelleyp, know you must be right bc there just has to be fabric or...oops, i'm gonna know i'm in the wrong place, lol!!! :shock: :D
Old 01-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Best--I have room for all my toys

Least--my kids still come in there to play video games and leave their %^&%&$&^& all over my floor and move Momma's things!!!!!!!!!!!!GRRRHH
Old 01-20-2009, 05:22 PM

WOW yall maybe one day I will have my own room LOL hmmm well this is my apartment. I use the dinning table (4 seater glass top) to cut and sew on. I have to put the sewing machine on a chair to cut.
So what do I dislike ..NOT enough room
What do I like hmmmmmmm close to kitchen LOL ( 1 room~ kitchen living & dinning )dont have far to get a drink.
I keep all my fabric in 3 XXL ziplock bags at the foot of my bed.
Oh well one day I will have my own room and miss this tiny place........then again NOT
Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Oh yea, Gayle, I'd really love to drag my hands over your fabrics. I'm really thinking I need to get a POD to put in the back yard. Then I could emply out the sewing/craft/yatayata room and the my bedroom and start all over again. I've got those plastic drawers stacked in the closet, bins in the corners, under the tables, etc. :oops: And then there's the sewing room closet. Whew.