Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by piepatch
I keep a lint roller with my sewing supplies and roll it over everything in sight, when I am through sewing for the day. I even roll it over the carpet in the sewing machine area to pick up the threads from the carpet so they don't wind up in the vacuum cleaner brushes. I keep a separate lint roller to clean up any loose threads from a completed quilt top. My sewing machine is not computerized, so I can keep a magnetic wand nearby to pick up any loose pins, including any that fall on the floor.
I use a toilet brush (new and clean, of course from the dollar store) to pick up strings from the floor where I sew. The long handle permits me to sit in my chair to "sweep" the floor.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora
I washed an empty juice jug and cut off the top, then inserted it into my thread catcher. I just remove the jug to empty my threads at the end of the day. No more picking loose threads out of the bottomand off the sides of the thread catcher.

Also, I use a tool box for quilt guild and UFO days. Here are photos of my best idea for transporting my quilting gear.
I have one of these for each machine and tool boxes for other projects. Tackle boxes are also better than sewing boxes to hold the small stuff. I use a metal make - up suitcase which has multiple shelves, for my hand embroidery.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by aggie
Use the large AM & PM pill storage boxes purchased at Dollar Tree. Scrub off the days of the week and use it for my "feet" and label them. Nice because you can just throw it around and not have to search for the right foot.
I love this idea! I have to go and find my old one for this purpose. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 PM

Not my own idea but one that I have found very helpful while binding. I use a plastic shoe box sized storage bin and cut out a rectangle from the center. Tape around the edges (I used painters tape)to keep fabric safe and fold fabric down into it. This keeps binding from twisting when sewing it on.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
Speaking of cleaning out the lint.... I use pipe cleaners for that. They are long enough to reach way down in the bottom corners and thin enough to pass between the plate and the bobbin thingy.
Also can run them through (between) the discs to clean out lint or piece of thread you didn't know you lost in there.
Marysewfun
Old 02-26-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by judykay
I take a picture of my blocks when laid out before sewing together with my digital camera. There are often times when I find a block either turned the wrong way or too much of one color in the same area. For some reason a picture lets you see something different than looking at it with only your eyes.
A good way to preview your laid out blocks is to look at them through the wrong end of binoculars, or the eye of your camera.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by katvert
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I use a full 1" x 1.5" Post-it-Note pad flush up against the presser foot, held down with a fat rubber band or a strip of tape, to keep my 1/4" seams exact. I can sew two strips together in about 10 seconds using this! All my seams are straight, equal, and easy.

Jan in VA
I just took a marker and marked right on my machine.
I have used the big fat rubber bands and put them around the extension to your sewing machine (sometimes it is an accessory box), and in the alternative put it around the arm of the machine for like 1/2 or 5/8 - of course that won't work on the arm of the machine if you are doing the 1/4 inch - but it works for other sizes and is easily moveable - and cheap!
Marysewfun

:P :P
Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Hi,

Hope your having a great weekend if they are not spoken for I would love them. Will gladly pay for shipping. Making quilty for my grankids 4 of them and my God niece is having a baby. I don't have much stach as my husband got rid of all my personal belongings including my machine so I'm working on rebuilding my stach

Pam Balster
(address edited out by moderator, this is a very public forum, Please use the PM function to share personal information)
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 PM

When you have to "rip" a seam, wrap a piece of scotch tape around your hand or a few fingers - sticky side out - and dot it down along the ripped out seam to pull up about 90-95% of those pesky thread tails.
Marysewfun
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

The magnetic pin dish. I keep it set to the right of the machine, and when I'm pulling pins as I sew, all I have to do is drop them anywhere above the pin dish and the magnetism catches them. No need to stick them in anything-- just drop!