Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
I need a guinea pig (or a proof reader) >

I need a guinea pig (or a proof reader)

I need a guinea pig (or a proof reader)

Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Dee

Very awesome, but would drive my ole eyes more out of wack , then they already are. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 AM

Love your quilt. I have downloaded the tutorial and really want to try it but I know it will be a while before I can get to it because I have several quilts in the works that I need to finish first. I will try to let you know if and when I use your tutorial and how it works. I just glanced through it and it seems very straight forward. I find it takes a lot of effort to write out a tutorial and make sure you don't miss anything. It really does help to have someone else use it to be sure you haven't left anything out. I wish I could start it today but I have a cancer quilt to complete and an I spy quilt for a little girl getting ready for open heart surgery to complete as well as two baby quilts to do that must come first. Perhaps someone else will be ready to try it sooner than I can.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 AM

wow that is nice
Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM

I really like this so I decided to give this a try. So far the instructions look good to me. I ended up printing them and hand writing the width of each strip next to your letters. Ba = 1.5 Wa = 2... so that as I assembled each set I knew the width of each strip that came next. You had the information there for us but on the previous page with the cutting instructions. I found it easier for me to have it repeated in the assembly instructions too. I am going to cut these sets up tomorrow. I will be labeling each strip as I cut them because I know they will get mixed up no matter how hard I try to keep them in order. I constantly have to move my projects because I do not have a sewing room yet. (I will as soon as I can get these adult children to move out. LOL )Anyway... everyone in my family that I have shown this to, when they ask me what I am making now, has responded with "that's really cool".
Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Michelle48350
I really like this so I decided to give this a try. So far the instructions look good to me. I ended up printing them and hand writing the width of each strip next to your letters. Ba = 1.5 Wa = 2... so that as I assembled each set I knew the width of each strip that came next. You had the information there for us but on the previous page with the cutting instructions. I found it easier for me to have it repeated in the assembly instructions too. I am going to cut these sets up tomorrow. I will be labeling each strip as I cut them because I know they will get mixed up no matter how hard I try to keep them in order. I constantly have to move my projects because I do not have a sewing room yet. (I will as soon as I can get these adult children to move out. LOL )Anyway... everyone in my family that I have shown this to, when they ask me what I am making now, has responded with "that's really cool".
I look forward to seeing your results!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:32 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I managed to write it up half size - I worked out that the strips then need to be 20" long so the fabric can be split up the fold, means you only need around .6 yard of each. The finished piece will be 33" square. I'll get to it soon.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

neat quilt!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
I managed to write it up half size - I worked out that the strips then need to be 20" long so the fabric can be split up the fold, means you only need around .6 yard of each. The finished piece will be 33" square. I'll get to it soon.
I've been working on it but I miscalculated - teach me to work these things out whilst watching TV! :-D My cut strips should have been 23" long NOT 20" like I cut them (I only had 3/4 yard pieces suitable so was trying to split the fabric up the fold) so the strip sets are a bit short - I did a bit of rejigging at the outer edges and the effect should still work. Anyway, I'll keep you posted. :-D
Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 AM

Below is the PDF version of Revision 2 to the tutorial:

Edits made:
Finished Size should be 63 x 63
Removed line about waste from yardage req
Added punctuation throughout
Placed cutting instructions into excel chart with checkbox
Added note about keeping strips in order before strips are cut.

I did not change the format on pages 2 and 3. If I start re-naming stripey strips, I'm afraid I will confuse myself, and in turn others. I did add a note that one may wish to label them to keep them in order.

PDF File R.2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129935[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-129930.pdf (24.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 AM
k3n
Power Poster

OK here are my strips not yet sewn together! I've really messed around with the sizes as I a) messed up my calculations and b) didn't have enough fabric! I was aiming for a half size to the pattern given here. This will finish at 30" x 32" so not a square but still I think the effect is pretty good! I might set it on point, what do you think? And I used the pink and grey largely because it was all I had enough of that even remotely suited the dark/light read-as-a-solid criteria but I think it looks pretty psychadelic maaan! 8-) :lol: The effect is better if you take a pace or two back from the screen.

And thank you so much for the pattern - this is such fun! :-D

Straight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138190[/ATTACH]

On point
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138191[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-138185.jpe
Views:	63
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	138190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-138186.jpe
Views:	23