Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts" >

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by crains12
Sew Cornie - I absolutely love the wool stockings you made - so forgive me if these questions were already answered previoulsy - What pattern did you use for these? Were they from a book? I would love to make these for my DB's family. Please let me know if you have any information still available for them. Awesome job!!!!
Thank you so much. :-D

The pattern is called "Paisley Socks" and is from http://www.woodenspooldesigns.com. I was just on their website and the pattern is still available. The pattern contains patterns for 3 stockings. I made up the fourth one on my own.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
AWE!! Sew Cornie, I love your Christmas stockings. Could you tell me , where is a good place to look for patterns to work with wool? I am just starting into it.
Thank you! I don't have much information about where's a good place to look. The stockings were my first wool project. I got the pattern from http://www.woodenspooldesigns.com. They are a home-based company that I came across at a local quilt show. I wish they had a storefront, but it's by order only. They offer a lot of small projects, which as a beginner, I find very appealing (and more affordable). I don't really have time to start any new projects, but I'm going to order their "Flower Basket" pattern. It's just so pretty. :-D
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Wahoo, I got my pattern All Through the Night today. It looks like fun. I do need to alternated between it and a some red work blocks I've been working on.
Did you use wool as the backing?
I think I am going to use flannel - but the pattern has you stitch the blocks down onto a muslin backing - and I am working on the blocks still so haven't quite gotten that far yet. I have more than half the blocks done and am going to embellish them more before I am done. Which one are you going to start with? I will try to post some of my finished blocks today or tomorrow. It is the most fun I have had for a long time. Lot's of people have really changed them and added to them so they are absolutely beautiful.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
Sew Cornie - I absolutely love the wool stockings you made - so forgive me if these questions were already answered previoulsy - What pattern did you use for these? Were they from a book? I would love to make these for my DB's family. Please let me know if you have any information still available for them. Awesome job!!!!

The pattern is called "Paisley Socks" and is from http://www.woodenspooldesigns.com. I was just on their website and the pattern is still available. The pattern contains patterns for 3 stockings. I made up the fourth one on my own.
Thanks !!! I found them on the website you provided and have ordered them. Now if I can just get them done by Christmas with all the other projects I have started!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Where is a good place to buy wool that's ready to sew with? I just bought three patterns from Wooden Spool Designs ("Flower Basket" for me and 2 patterns to use as school teacher gifts), but need wool to use now. :-D
Old 02-28-2011, 05:19 PM

Where is a good place to buy wool that's ready to sew with? I just bought three patterns from Wooden Spool Designs ("Flower Basket" for me and 2 patterns to use as school teacher gifts), but need wool to use now. :-D
There is a very large selection at Pioneer Quilts in Clackamas, OR. I think they have the best selection in town. Holly Hill Quilts in West Linn also has wool - but now as much selection. However, Holly Hill has a great thread selection - but Pioneer Quilts does too. It's really worth a trip to Pioneer Quilts. They are awesome and they have every color you can imagine in wools. I love their store. Also have wonderful cottons and patterns.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
Wahoo, I got my pattern All Through the Night today. It looks like fun. I do need to alternated between it and a some red work blocks I've been working on.
I think I am going to use flannel - but the pattern has you stitch the blocks down onto a muslin backing - and I am working on the blocks still so haven't quite gotten that far yet. I have more than half the blocks done and am going to embellish them more before I am done. Which one are you going to start with? I will try to post some of my finished blocks today or tomorrow. It is the most fun I have had for a long time. Lot's of people have really changed them and added to them so they are absolutely beautiful.
I read through the pattern yesterday. I thought the pattern was very well written. I liked the way she explained the process that most of us take for granted. (why she started with 5" and cut to 4"). I was surprise the entire project is so small, but that makes it alot more manageable. I'll probably do the cat first. I have enough (7 tubs) wool so I'm thinking I'll use wool for the background too. Now for time to get it started. :lol:
Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 AM

There is a very large selection at Pioneer Quilts in Clackamas, OR. I think they have the best selection in town. Holly Hill Quilts in West Linn also has wool - but now as much selection. However, Holly Hill has a great thread selection - but Pioneer Quilts does too. It's really worth a trip to Pioneer Quilts. They are awesome and they have every color you can imagine in wools. I love their store. Also have wonderful cottons and patterns.
Thanks, Roxanne. I'll have to venture over there after my patterns arrive.

:D
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM

I read through the pattern yesterday. I thought the pattern was very well written. I liked the way she explained the process that most of us take for granted. (why she started with 5" and cut to 4"). I was surprise the entire project is so small, but that makes it alot more manageable. I'll probably do the cat first. I have enough (7 tubs) wool so I'm thinking I'll use wool for the background too. Now for time to get it started. :lol:
I think I misunderstood your question - I am using wool to stitch the appliques onto. then for the backing for the entire quilt I am still thinking.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:59 AM

Thanks !!! I found them on the website you provided and have ordered them. Now if I can just get them done by Christmas with all the other projects I have started!
I should mention that the stockings made according to the pattern are quite small. I enlarged my pattern to the size I wanted. You may want to consider size before jumping right in on the project.