Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Judy, according to Lesley's figures, you will need to enlarge by 142% for a 10" block. I haven't tried printing mine out yet...I'm planning on doing it tomorrow. I'll probably copy, slide it over, copy again, cut and tape the pattern together to get it all on one page.

Gai, your friend's idea sounds really pretty. Will she join the QB so she can post pics on our threads and play with us?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Judy, according to Lesley's figures, you will need to enlarge by 142% for a 10" block. I haven't tried printing mine out yet...I'm planning on doing it tomorrow. I'll probably copy, slide it over, copy again, cut and tape the pattern together to get it all on one page.

Gai, your friend's idea sounds really pretty. Will she join the QB so she can post pics on our threads and play with us?
Patti, I know if you want to enlarge a 7" block to a 10" block, you would enlarge 142%, but my thinking was that the applique portion of the 7" block was 6" and if I make allowance for a 1" border on a 10" block, I would enlarge the applique pattern to 9", which would be 150%. I get one set up and see how it looks before I print the rest. My thinking may be skewed, but that's how I see it right now.

Now I'm just waiting for my fabric and I may become a member of the JTG club.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM

I don't have my book yet so I may be wrong, but I think there was an earlier post saying that some of the blocks were not symetrical. I will see if I can find it.

Found it : page 1 - quiltswithconvicts posted that 14 blocks are not symetrical.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:42 PM

My batiks are out of the washer, pressed and ready for action! My color catchers are now a muddy shade of lavender, but the fabrics seem none the worse for wear.

Here they are, the fabrics for my "Baby Love" AOTH. The FQs are either from Connecting Threads Spring Batiks or some left over Hoffman Batiks I had from another project. I also have a pile of pink and purple scraps that I threw into a lingerie bag and washed up for good measure. I figure this will be a great way to use up the scraps.

Fabrics for Ginger's "Baby Love" AOTH
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120958[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-120953.jpe
Views:	28
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	120958  
Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM

That is going to be so soft & pretty. "Baby Love" is a great name. I haven't even started to think about a name. I'm just trying to get all the things I have to do done so I can play with everyone.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM

What I meant about them not being symetrical is that they are not the same if you flip the pattern over. When you are doing fusible applique, you need to reverse patterns that the pieces aren't the same - like letters in the alphabet. An "F" isn't symetrical, so you would need to turn the paper over & trace the letter on the back side & use that for the pattern.

I discovered this when I was tracing a block onto the background fabric and realized it wasn't the same as the front-facing pattern showed. I think all the blocks are symetrical if you were to draw a line down the center and across the center, the 4 quadrants would be the same, or a mirror image from side to side or top to bottom.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 PM

Our book came in and Felicia and I went out and bought some more fabric today. The batics that are around here seem to be very dull. A lot of browns and darker shades. So, I decided to go with Kaufman's fusion fabric. I had a bag of it that I bought for a project that I never started so I figured I'd use it for this one. I just had to fill in some color holes.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 PM

On my printer I had to enlarge to 137 or 138%, it just exactly fits on an 8X11.5 sheet of printer paper with a little fudging, cut 10.5 black blocks fits nicely on there. So Just my patterns are a bit bigger, and easier to sew on my machine. just using my stash, and scraps. I have a guild challenge that has to be done by May, so I'd better get going on that.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Lovely fabrics, Lara, they aren't that different to mine, except perhaps I have a few brighter ones too.

I am also filling in gaps with some Fusion fabrics, and the odd scraps from my stash too - Aie seems to use more patterned fabrics than I first thought.

I have also been trying to think of a name for my quilt - but I didn't come up with Baby Love, that's a good one. I'm still thinking.....

Patti, have you tried putting out a thread for extra background fabric here on the board? Googling it? If you can't get more, then if all else fails, you could always have a different final border background.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Oh...such pretty pretty batiks!! I love how those are flowing together!

I played last night with the size blocks I would need. I also added an extra row (yes I would have to design a few extra blocks or use a few of them twice- which I don't think would be really noticeable). According to EQ, I have enough fabric for that, but....its certainly scarey! I want to make my quilt a little longer so it will actually cover the bed! Jane doesn't hang down enough on the sides to fully cover the mattress...GRRRRR! I should have thought it through better on the front end. So, I'm trying to do that process with this one.