Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you know about burns? >

What do you know about burns?

What do you know about burns?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 PM

I took a bowl out of the microwave tonight - and it was EXTREMELY hot - had it in my hand for less than 2 seconds, but it was enough. The pain felt deep on a couple of fingers, but the skin wasn't even red/white or anything other than normal looking. I've had it on an ice pack since (well over an hour) and it still really burns when I take it off the ice pack. I'm finally seeing some white patches which I'm assuming are blisters. This is just on a couple of fingers - not a huge area. (Oh, I really feel for people that have major burns!!!!) Other than keeping it cold for a while more, and clean (it isn't like the skin is open) - is there anything else to do? I've put aloe on it, and now lavender. Still really hurts! And of course it's on my right hand (I'm right handed)
Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 PM

Try putting soy sause on it. It should relieve the pain. If you put it on ASAP after the burn you will not get blisters. The skin will turn white and get rough but no pain and no blister.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 PM

try getting some of the aloe vera gel that has lidocaine in it. lidocaine is a topical anesthetic, and you can apply it as often as needed.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM

Hi,
I'm so sorry for your injury. Aloe vera gel works and should take out the pain and help with healing. Also use triple antibiotic ointment. Keep applying the ointment through out the day, then wrap lightly with gauze. Be sure to soak your hand at least once a day. If after finding and applying the aloe very gel the pain does not go away be sure to visit your doctor. Good luck with your healing process.
Pam M
Dayton, OH
Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have it soaking in some aloe juice w/an ice cube now. Amazing how much it still hurts when I take it out. Seriously - how do burn patients survive the pain when huge areas of their body are effected?! I consider myself as having a fairly high pain tolerance and I'm wondering how I'm gonna sleep tonight. Gotta get another ice cube!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Thanks for the suggestions. I have it soaking in some aloe juice w/an ice cube now. Amazing how much it still hurts when I take it out. Seriously - how do burn patients survive the pain when huge areas of their body are effected?! I consider myself as having a fairly high pain tolerance and I'm wondering how I'm gonna sleep tonight. Gotta get another ice cube!!!
Now you know why they often keep serious burn patients in induced comas for a while! The good news is, sometimes the most superficial burns hurt the most.

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I took a bowl out of the microwave tonight - and it was EXTREMELY hot - had it in my hand for less than 2 seconds, but it was enough. The pain felt deep on a couple of fingers, but the skin wasn't even red/white or anything other than normal looking. I've had it on an ice pack since (well over an hour) and it still really burns when I take it off the ice pack. I'm finally seeing some white patches which I'm assuming are blisters. This is just on a couple of fingers - not a huge area. (Oh, I really feel for people that have major burns!!!!) Other than keeping it cold for a while more, and clean (it isn't like the skin is open) - is there anything else to do? I've put aloe on it, and now lavender. Still really hurts! And of course it's on my right hand (I'm right handed)
I burnt the side of my hand last night making cookies for the hubby and put a ice pack, finally after about 1 hour and trying not to think about it, while quilting it finally stop stinging...

They are just little burns, so I couldnt think how it must feel when someone really gets burnt! My heart goes out to them.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 PM

You might also try Oragel!! It numbs it and it takes the pain out!! You might have to rub it on it a couple times!! Hope this helps!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 PM

try double plastic bagging some ice cubes and wrap a long piece of velcro around it tonight to hold it on. neosporin pain also helps. so sorry this happened to you. bet you'll be making some new pot holders.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 PM

coconut oil or honey