Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am >

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Hi. I'm in for the month of March.
Judy Fry
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Count me in!!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
DonnaD wrote:
Hey, y'all. I had some awful news today. I'm an RN and today I talked to the doctor that does the lap-band and gastric bypass surgeries for a hospital in St. Louis. He was down here doing a seminar for ladies interested in getting either one done.

I told him I had thought of having one or the other done in the past, but had never followed through. While I was talking to him I was drinking a diet Dr. Pepper. He said "Well, I wouldn't do either on you until you swore to never drink another soda". I said but I only drink diet sodas. He said "Doesn't matter. Soda keeps you fat. The carbonation keeps your stomach stretched, which means it takes more food to make you feel full. If you have either one of the surgeries and drink soda it will stretch your new reduced-size stomach and when it does you will lose all the benefit from having surgery". Now, I've heard that drinking diet soda was not good if you were on a diet because it kept you from losing your desire for sweets, but I never heard this. He explained a lot more about it but bottom line is soda prevents you from losing weight by causing you to eat more. It makes sense. If I get an upset stomach I'll drink a soda as fast as I can so that I can burp like a truckdriver and feel better. Breaks my heart to think I have to give up my sodas. What in the world will I do without them? Drink water?
I have never been one to drink diet soda. Rather have nothing, but hook me up to a Dr Pepper IV anyday! I am reading more & more about the connection between HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) and high cholesterol. The caffeine also increases breast tenderness for me. Hasn't made me stop drinking it yet - but the day is coming.

Thanks for the post!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:29 AM

I refuse to give up my Pepsi! I have cut way back to no more than one a day (I used to drink it all day long). For various reasons I have had to give up nearly everything I love to eat, so I can't face giving up Pepsi. Moderation that's my goal for dealing with everything I eat and drink.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 AM

I'm in again also! I didn't lose ANY weight during February, but didn't find any either (LOL!) So - I'm very willing to try again! I'll be sticking to a low fat/high protien vegetarian meal plan.
Sally
Old 03-01-2011, 05:31 AM

Lynne, Dr Pepper is my favorite! It was very HARD to come off those things, but I did it. Took me weeks to do, but I did it and you can too! I cut myself back a little each day, sometimes every 2 days, but eventually I got off them. I don't feel so bloated anymore. Good luck! Sandy
Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 AM

Has anyone tried Crystal Light--I use the one that is grapefruit and it is delicious(sp) Caf free and statisfies the urge for sweet. They have a multitude of other flavors. A family member told me about it who is diabetic and is on Nutri-Systems--Thought I'd throw that in--I was a lover of orange soda and cream and root beer--

Gail
Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 AM

My birthday is March 15. I'll be 57, yikes, creeping closer to the big 60.

Originally Posted by trupeach1
gmaybee what day is your b-day?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Banned

WE HAVE A TIE.............

the winners for Feb challenge losing 12 lbs are CarolJ and DonnaD.......congrats to both.

Will the losers please go to page 16 of the Feb thread for the list of players. If your name is on the first 1/2 of the list send the FQ to CarolJ. If your name is on the second 1/2 of the list send your FQ to DonnaD. The theme was men if you do not have the themed FQ PLEASE send what you have. Thank you!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Banned

Thanks Carrie for coping about soda from the Feb thread! :thumbup: