Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm needing a hug >

I'm needing a hug

I'm needing a hug

Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 AM

What a beautiful quilt and beautiful quilting --- He needs something - maybe he needed a hug.... He is living in the past.... and very unhappy -- hope the doctor made him happy... Sorry about your experience with the old grouch! Beautiful quilt!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Hugs to you! Your quilt is beautiful!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 AM

i'd ask how many he made..... don't worry about him. you get all kinds. your quilt is awesome
Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
Several days ago I was waiting for my husband in a doctor's office, hand binding a quilt I had quilted on my quilting machine. This older man came in, sat down across the waiting room from me and kept watching what I was doing. After several minutes of looking at my quilt, he asked how long it had taken me to quilt it. This was a large full size which I had quilted double feathered wreaths on, so it took about 15 hours of quilting time. He grunted and made a comment about he bet the fabric was even new. Then he went into a loud and lenghty speach about how women these days don't know how to make a quilt. How they (quilts) should be made from scraps of clothing. Should never be made from new material. Should all be done by hand, etc. on and on. I really felt small. I finally folded my quilt and went to my car to wait on my husband.
Enjoy your accomplishments.

Perhaps we need to say a prayer for this sad old gentleman. His outlook on life is so negative.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 AM

Just consider the source. This man is very OLD school and probably watched his mother and other family members quilt in a way that was common for their era. Many "old schoolers" can't relate to where things have come to in this day and age. Your quilt is beautiful and had it been me sitting there I would not have left but just agreed and said "yes you are talking about the way my great-grandmother quilted, all by hand....and I even still piece on my mother's treadle.." bla bla bla but would have stayed there and kept on truckin'.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Don't let it get you down - he was having a bad day and wanted to spread the wealth! You just happen to be in his sight. The quilt is beautiful and whoever received it will be greatly blessed to get it. Hang in there.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
Several days ago I was waiting for my husband in a doctor's office, hand binding a quilt I had quilted on my quilting machine. This older man came in, sat down across the waiting room from me and kept watching what I was doing. After several minutes of looking at my quilt, he asked how long it had taken me to quilt it. This was a large full size which I had quilted double feathered wreaths on, so it took about 15 hours of quilting time. He grunted and made a comment about he bet the fabric was even new. Then he went into a loud and lenghty speach about how women these days don't know how to make a quilt. How they (quilts) should be made from scraps of clothing. Should never be made from new material. Should all be done by hand, etc. on and on. I really felt small. I finally folded my quilt and went to my car to wait on my husband.
Maybe he should be home waiting for the doctor to make a house call if he's so far behind in time. Some people aren't happy unless they ruin someone else's day. Sending hugs & laughter your way.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Oh it's a beautiful quilt!!! Sending you hugs for a job well done!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM

My hugs to you. This is a beautiful quilt.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:14 AM

I know hindsight has 20/20 vision, but I wish you had asked that "expert" how many quilts he had hand-made from scraps.