Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is a stash TOO BIG?? >

When is a stash TOO BIG??

When is a stash TOO BIG??

Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 PM

who would know where to look for a certain piece of fabric if there is that much in your house? Does the lady sew, perhaps she could have a group of young teens or young girls interested in quilting over to her house. At least there would be some fabric to work with. I feel so sorry she can't see the beauty in what she all ready has, and that she is very lucky she can continue to do this if she feels the need, which she must. Your are a great freind to help her. emmy
Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM

You can never have too much fabric.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Ty

Like "Nanna up North" I have a decent stash, and could make a small baby quilt or scrappy lap quilt if needed.
When working on a new project I may need to buy a few new pieces for that particular project, but I try to take from my stash as much as possible.
I do, however, collect FQ's of greens, as I love applique and there are never enough greens as far as I'm concerned. Once in a while, if there is a spectacular sale on, I might treat myself to a yard or two of something that catches my eye.
Lately with the cost of fabric increasing, I find that I have to be more careful about what I buy too. No more spontaneous spending going on around here.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM

The way fabric prices keep jumping, a huge stash may be a gold mine soon. I'm middle aged with a stash that takes up most of a bedroom in my house (the machines fill a 2nd room). As I walk through even Hobby Lobby and Hancock in sticker shock at $10+/yd fabric, I rejoice that I have years of creativity stocked up. I fear for the future of our quilt shops - we just can't continue to stash build at their prices.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:05 PM

I'm happy to read about your stash, so big! There is one thing going through my mind. I am not the only one who loves to buy fabrics and wonders where I can put them. I try to use the old fabric, but not too many. And no matter how many times I organize my room, every time I am looking for a fabric I have to take it apart. I love this QB you understand Me!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:31 PM

When I moved from a house into a 4 room apartment, my son who moved me and what stuff I did move commented that 90""% of what he moved way fabric and yarn.

I moved into an Apartment building for Seniors. Very nice, warm, clean and good neighbors. So, to get rid of my stash, I started making Lap quilts and small quilts apx youth bed size and crib quilts. I've used up about half of it and am now figuring out how to use up the rest as it is a blue here, a green there, a yellow in the center and all other combinations that really don't match each other. So, what do I do now. I will cut 9 inch squares from the light colored pieces and sashing from the darker pieces and make a rag quilt. Who will care when they see the beauty of a rag tag quilt made so I can go out and buy more fabric.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 PM

I think your 84 year old friend may be a collector of fabric as well as a practitioner of the fabric arts. It is kind of you to help her organize her fabrics. What is too much stash? I can't say. Ultimately, the owner of the fabric decides what is too much. You have your limit and your friend has hers. I would be curious what your friend says about her stash?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 PM

I've never had that much to worry about, but what little I do have makes me think about those who really have a lot. To find a pattern in a book and go to your stash for material must actually be difficult in some ways. UNLESS you mark how much is in each. You there for have to take to tabe and measure every piece, So you find one a little shy, back to the drawing board, maybe you say forget this, I'm going to town and buy what I need then buy more of what you don't really need? These are just questions as I really have no idea. :) Then on other hand if it gives someone pleasure and makes them happy to see the material on shelves then I guess I for one could never say it was wrong. WE all have that little place inside us and we know right from wrong for self. :) enjoy your material girls lol.....
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
When I moved from a house into a 4 room apartment, my son who moved me and what stuff I did move commented that 90""% of what he moved way fabric and yarn.

I moved into an Apartment building for Seniors. Very nice, warm, clean and good neighbors. So, to get rid of my stash, I started making Lap quilts and small quilts apx youth bed size and crib quilts. I've used up about half of it and am now figuring out how to use up the rest as it is a blue here, a green there, a yellow in the center and all other combinations that really don't match each other. So, what do I do now. I will cut 9 inch squares from the light colored pieces and sashing from the darker pieces and make a rag quilt. Who will care when they see the beauty of a rag tag quilt made so I can go out and buy more fabric.

your to cute (((hugs)))
Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 PM

When you have to move. It was the wort part of downsizing.